Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (Susan, Obi, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64199 Topics
448003 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#464497 - 04/24/14 12:13 PM Another Milestone...Sad & Angry
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
On Tuesday night I spoke at a rehab center. It was a group of six teenagers, aged 14-16, all hooked on anything from heroin to cocaine to meth to alcohol.

I told my story.......all of it. The alcoholic parents. The sexual abuse. Turning to drugs and alcohol to relieve the pain. Then each of them made a brief statement about themselves. Four of the six spoke of being sexually abused as children. More of the pedophile's legacy. I thought to myself "You still are children!" but then I thought "No, I know better than that". For what they've been through, they are wise way beyond their years. They want to get clean. They want to face what was done to them. They want their lives back.

Its sad that it took me 40 years to get to that point. I told them how much I admired them for that. I told them to face all the feelings. To not let anything get in the way of recovery. Not boyfriends or girlfriends, not family, not friends. Dump anybody who doesn't support where you are going. Lose anything that distracts you from progress. This is life or death.

I could see they were listening closely, yet I know some of them likely won't make it. Thats what makes me angry. Knowing that these kids have survived so much, want to be free from it so much, but its still stacked against them. Life is so fucking unfair.
Left here on my own or so it seems
I've got to leave before I start to scream
Joe Cocker

#464502 - 04/24/14 12:38 PM Re: Another Milestone...Sad & Angry [Re: Jude]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Hi Jude,

Thank you for giving of yourself in this way. You were a gift to them.

Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#464505 - 04/24/14 01:06 PM Re: Another Milestone...Sad & Angry [Re: Jude]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Jude

I know your courage will definitely save the lives of these children. To open up and share from the heart takes courage. It is a sign you are healing and our far you have come.

Your advise to "not let anything get in the way of recovery. Not boyfriends, girlfriends, not family, not friends. Dump anybody who doesn't support where you are going. Loose anything that distracts you from progress. This is life and death." Is so true, I was not as wise, I disregarded similar advise from doctors, therapists and supporters, and it nearly killed me. I understand how denial destroys the heart, mind and inner being. I started to surround myself with supportive people and my healing accelerated. I hope your message will be accepted by the young people you spoke with last night. Sadly, many are probably surrounded by people who may love them but their action and words continue to be destructive--and they do not see how and are blinded as to the destruction they are inflicting to those suffering and trying to heal. Those healing need support, understanding, compassion. You message was one of honesty and inspiration.

I am proud you gave wise guidance to these young people and I at least one life will take a turn for the better.

Thank you

Kevin

#464523 - 04/24/14 08:59 PM Re: Another Milestone...Sad & Angry [Re: Jude]
kcinohio Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Recovery is available to each one of them and you did your part. Even if you helped one get through a day they otherwise wouldn't have, then a day at a time, that's the best assistance that can be asked of you.

#464524 - 04/24/14 09:18 PM Re: Another Milestone...Sad & Angry [Re: Jude]
bey Offline

Loc: canada
When I was in my early 20s I had no real plans to quit using heroin until some guy asked me why I used, and for some crazy reason I told him the truth, that it was because my parents had abused me and junk made it easier to deal with. He told me his dad had done the same to him, and that's why he used too. That moment was the start of working towards getting clean and dealing with my past. It's still a struggle but I'm still here.

Thanks for sharing your story and support with those kids. It is frustrating to see people hurt and suffering like that, and it's so unfair. But I'm sure you lifted a bit of their burden by sharing your time and your story, and in the end what else can we do for each other.

Ben

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.