Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63993 Topics
446673 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#464340 - 04/21/14 02:30 PM Teacher/Student relationships
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
I was at a family function yesterday and my brother brought up an interesting and rather disturbing item. He said that when he was in high school, his assistant basketball coach was having a sexual relationship with a member of the girls' basketball team. The girl readily admitted it. He said it was common knowledge on the players on both teams. My brother said that he's confident other teachers and the school administration knew about it, but there's no proof.

This is very disturbing to think that everyone knew about it, but no one thought to report it. It would be hard to keep that secret. No parent ever complained, no teacher lodged a complaint, and no player ever brought it up to their respective families. The last point is rather weak, I realize and I'm not sure it's the kids' responsibilities to report it. But the teachers and parents should have said something if they knew.

There is no justification for a teacher/coach to be involved with a sexual relationship with a student/athlete. That teacher should have been fired immediately. Instead, he's been working for over 25 years at this school.
This is a sad commentary on the state of affairs regarding abuse.

Dave

#464443 - 04/22/14 11:08 PM Re: Teacher/Student relationships [Re: DavoSwim]
genedebs Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MO
If it is of interest to you, DavoSwim, there are requirements under Title IX of the civil rights act that not only should it be reported, but the school is required to inform parents, staff, and students how to report, their to annonymity, and the process that goes on from there.

Of course, this is something that would help the children so iot is almost universally ignored.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.