Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63993 Topics
446673 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#464036 - 04/13/14 01:19 PM The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
The Neurobiology of Child Abuse
I recently presented this paper to the staff at the mental health facility I work at. In short it summarizes research findings that physical, sexual, and emotional abuse affect a child's developing brain in ways that make the victims more prone to a variety of psychiatric disorders. This raises questions as to the effectiveness of traditional "talk therapy" as a form of treatment for such patients. Its not an easy read, but its given me some new insights into myself and my prospects for recovery in the long term.

Be well,

Jude
That's why I'm telling you
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
Rare Earth

#464048 - 04/13/14 10:45 PM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: Jude]
justplainme Offline

Don't take these reports as a final prognosis, reading things like this can make one feel hopeless but trust me when i say that the neurobiological damages of CSA can also be changed with time, and because of the activation of certain bioneurological patterns you have a larger access to a neuronal bank of brain composition.

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#464050 - 04/14/14 12:20 AM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: justplainme]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Jude

This is excellent. I'm glad you are working on this.

It's an excellent article.

Isn't the brain found to be more plastic (capable of new growth of neurons) than hitherto thought?

The CIA has learned fantastic amounts about the brain. Some of it is published in regular journals but not identified as such. Hopefully they will turn this knowledge toward healing of those who experience neurological problems due to child abuse.

Puffer

#464055 - 04/14/14 01:21 AM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: pufferfish]
justplainme Offline

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Jude

This is excellent. I'm glad you are working on this.

It's an excellent article.

Isn't the brain found to be more plastic (capable of new growth of neurons) than hitherto thought?

The CIA has learned fantastic amounts about the brain. Some of it is published in regular journals but not identified as such. Hopefully they will turn this knowledge toward healing of those who experience neurological problems due to child abuse.

Puffer

I would not be amazed if some of the new neurological findings under x projects come from the military industry.Like soldiers in wars our brains have been exposed to overstimulation. We have a brain composed in levels or patterns if you want to think of it in a more organic way. Each level is only activated on a need to activate basis or a developmental basis. Instinct drives our survival in a cellular and neurological way. With a intelligence of its own in my opinion. Our brains due to the Huge traumatic events are firing in all cylinders. *PTSD anyone? Imagine how this affects your cognitive processing of the world. Your on par with autism patients who retrogress into their own because their brains produce an extra 95% information during idleness than a non autistic human being *Therefor require less external stimuli. (Intense world theory). We are dealing with a huge inner reality that fucks up your world and inner personal view. This can be turned into a positive. Your brain is now a turbo or supercharged V-12, you gotta learn how to drive this baby.

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#464056 - 04/14/14 01:23 AM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: Jude]
justplainme Offline

Funny how there is no "The effects of child abuse on the Heart."

Heal the heart, you heal the mind.

Edited by justplainme (04/14/14 01:24 AM)

#464061 - 04/14/14 09:48 AM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: Jude]
CafeMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Chicago
Interesting post, Jude. This kind of touches on the the theory of evolutionary psychology. Men are programmed to be . . . men. So abuse is a shock to the natural biological/behavioral patterns of young boys/men during adolescence.

A psychologist gave the example of taking a DVD player and slamming it to the ground. It still works, but the wires have been moved or rerouted. The same for us during our development. The abuse is a shock or an over-stimulation of emotions, which has long term effects.

I think along those lines when I have a down/sad period. Meaning, I blame the wires for my behavior, and go through my own cognitive map towards the problem. When the abuse happened, I remember the overflow of emotions and saying to myself that the feelings were intense. To this day, I have never experienced an overflow of emotions like that since 12 years old. Therefore your research and presentation makes sense.

Thank you for sharing!

-Nick

#464062 - 04/14/14 10:46 AM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: Jude]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
"you gotta learn how to drive this baby."

Priceless, justplainme.

Thanks, Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#464063 - 04/14/14 10:57 AM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: Jude]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Hi Jude,

I'm not up to reading professional writing at the moment, but hope to be soon. I've felt for years that though my abuse skewed me very badly to damaged end of the emotional, mental, physical, spiritual end of the spectrum, that skewing also opened in equal measure the possibilities on the other end of the same spectrum. I also know I came very close to being autistic and locked away for ever. Just barely escaped. I still haven't been able to function in the world of people in a manner that is satisfying to me, but I am getting closer all the time. If not this year, then maybe next. I look forward to reading the article.

Thanks, Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#464068 - 04/14/14 12:05 PM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: Jude]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Jude, I think would be a good segue to Neuro-Plasticity and how that may be of help for sexual trauma survivors. I know it has been of help for me, and it has been guided by "talk therapy".

This video is real good food for thought: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7WxjzoABM

#464070 - 04/14/14 01:16 PM Re: The Neurobiology Of Child Abuse [Re: Jude]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Jude

Excellent article. I have read many writings of Bassel van der Kolk, a leader in understand trauma at the Boston Trauma Center. He speaks of many to what you have brought forth in the article and your own studies. Maybe once the world learns how the mind adapts, re-adapts and changes depending on life circumstances, people will realize abuse victims also have to adapt to the abuse and the conditions. As JayBro mentioned Neuro-Plasticity is being studied and a better understanding of how we re-wire our minds throughout life. Healing allows us to re-wire how we think about ourselves and to heal.

Thank you for all your work.

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.