Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
2 registered (Suwanee, focusedbody), 16 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63212 Topics
442011 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#463430 - 03/30/14 05:43 PM Re: Compulsive Masturbation [Re: Jake123]
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
"The way out was not death of self but death to self"

In the twelve step context, this makes total sense and is not as scary as it reads. All I take it to mean is we "kill" our reliance on our selves and turn to something else including god/higher power/spirituality/etc. This is why I believe this thread could carry over into faith and spirituality.

In my opinion, all spiritual paths are involve breaking the bonds of "self". In this case, my self led to me using masturbation as a means of escape from reality. I didn't intend it nor did I cause my "self" to rely on it but it is now my responsibility to address the problem...and it is a "self"-created problem but stressing that I am not guilty or to blame for having gotten to this point of having a problem with masturbation. It is just a problem that I have to deal with.

I understand Hartdaddy and appreciate his point of view as it seems very similar to mine. I also understand why he breached the subject of self but knew enough not to go as far into as I just have. I wanted to address the concern about the reading of someone on this board saying anything about death to self. Obviously a real concern but within the context of this thread, it does make sense.

Edited by EdfromNYC (03/30/14 05:47 PM)

#463432 - 03/30/14 06:36 PM Re: Compulsive Masturbation [Re: EdfromNYC]
Jake123 Offline

Ok Ed......I am just too new here to know.

I am in the middle of a spiritual journey as well. Odd you reference that. I do believe in God. EVERYONE--speaking about God and spirit is an very individual thing and I do not ask any of you reading my post to read anything else into my comments other than it being my path. Thanks to all who have added to this thread. I hope you all continue. Comments added to the original thread are important to me and I hope to those who choose to read and add to it.

#463438 - 03/30/14 08:03 PM Re: Compulsive Masturbation [Re: Jake123]
EdfromNYC Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
Hey Jake - I hesitated to describe what I thought hartdaddy meant because discussions of faith on here can get messy. I was merely elaborating on 12 step approaches to dealing with compulsive masturbation and how that related to some things written.

I think being new on this forum is one thing. Being introduced to some 12 step concepts is an entirely different issue and has NOTHING to do with malesurvivor.org and being a participant here. 12 step groups are an outside issue that can be brought up at times but there are many men who've gotten better in many ways on this site with or without 12 step group help.

Cheers to you for starting this thread and following through.

#463677 - 04/04/14 08:17 PM Re: Compulsive Masturbation [Re: Jake123]
Jake123 Offline

It appears this link has run its course. Thanks to all who shared. Hopefully it helped some of you in some way. I found some interesting viewpoints....

Thanks
Jake

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.