Newest Members
Francis Xavier, JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish
12438 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dannyboy22 (31), ScorpioBlue (45), Wife - Survivor (70)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12438 Members
74 Forums
63857 Topics
445882 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#461535 - 02/26/14 04:08 AM Losing Everything
TW16 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Utah
Back in December my job allowed me to transfer back home to Utah from Washington to be with family as my grandma wasn't doing well and wasn't expected to live past the end of the year. I was told by my job that I could only be here for two months and then transfer back to Washington. Well, while my grandma is doing well, things have taken a turn for the worst. Two weeks ago I was fired because some coworkers had made false accusations towards me, and I am in the process of appealing the termination. Human Resources says that 12 coworkers said I was using profanity and making racial comments about another coworker. One coworker claimed I sent him some racial remarks in text messages. I do not know his phone number and I am going to get a record of everyone who I have called or sent texts to for the last two months. His number will not be on that list. When I told my managers back in Washington about this, they were shocked. They told me to appeal and request to be transferred back to
Washington as they will take me back.

In addition to me losing my job, I was just told by my dad that he is kicking me out in two weeks. I cannot stay with any other family members and I have nowhere else to go. I may have enough money to get by for a month or two.

A couple of days ago I applied for unemployment, but I was told it could take about a month before I find out how much money--if any--I will get. Should I tell them I am now homeless? I didn't know when I applied that I was going to be kicked out.

Furthermore, I found out that there may be a mistake on my Utah W-2, and they are looking into see why I have not received a W-2 from Washington as well. On the bright side, at least I have not filed my taxes yet, so I will have a little more money coming in.

In addition, I do have a job interview on Thursday at Taco Bell. Not the best job, but at least it is a job. In the meantime I will keep looking for a better job as well as try and get my old job back. But do I stay in Utah or go back to Washington? I do still have belongings up there and I am sure I am still a Washington resident as I cannot get a Utah ID because I have no documents to prove resistancy since I was supposed to be here only two months.

TW16

#461594 - 02/26/14 09:25 PM Re: Losing Everything [Re: TW16]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi TW. Man, I really hate to hear that things are going so rough for you right now. In fact, it sounds like "going so rough" is an understatement. Don't give up though. Use your anger over being unfairly fired as a motivator. Fight like crazy to get that job back. Don't get discouraged and, if you don't get it back, consider contacting an attorney who specializes in wrongful termination. If you can more or less prove your case and a lawyer thinks it's enough of a slam dunk, you might find one who will take the case under the condition that if he doesn't win, you don't have to pay him. Good luck with that. I am rooting for you.

I really hate to hear that your father is kicking you out. Have you explained to him that if he does this, you will be homeless? Is there anything you think you could do to get him to let you stay, at least until you are on your feet? You didn't say why he is kicking you out and I won't ask because your omitting his reasons means you probably don't want to talk about it. However, if you'd be willing to discuss what is going on between the two of you privately, I'd be willing to listen. Just putting that out there.

Do you mind me asking if you have a car and a relatively clean driving record? If so, you may want to consider delivering pizza instead of Taco Bell. I did that for years and, while it isn't great, it's definitely better than what would probably be close to minimum wage at Taco Bell. It isn't all that difficult of a job and you bring home cash tips every night, most of which you can hide from good ole Uncle Sam. If you do go that route, it's important to be flexible about the hours you are willing to work and to be willing to close the store as it will help you get more hours. If you interview for a delivery job and tell them you are willing to close, it will definitely increase your odds of getting hired.

Stay strong, man. I know what it's like to struggle financially and to not know where your next dollar is coming from. Even though I am fully employed now, I still scrape by from paycheck to paycheck in order to maintain the meager little standard of living I do have. It's rough out there, I know. Keep fighting. Keep clawing. Keep surviving. You can do this. Good luck and keep us posted. Peace,

Ken

#461724 - 02/28/14 12:44 PM Re: Losing Everything [Re: TW16]
TW16 Offline
MaleSurvivor

My dad is kicking me out because he is on housing and he does not want to lose that.

No, I do not own a car. I cannot drive due to a visual impairment.

TW16

#461855 - 03/02/14 03:25 AM Re: Losing Everything [Re: TW16]
TW16 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I just had another argument with my dad, and I told him that as soon as I get my tav return I am gone. What I didn't tell him is that I will never come back--and I meanit too! I am going to sever all contact with my family. I can't take it anymore. I hurt so much right now. I don't know what to do or where I will go when I get my tax return. And I am still waiting for a W-2 as well. I can't even file.

TW16

#462037 - 03/04/14 09:27 PM Re: Losing Everything [Re: TW16]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hi TW. Good luck with this. I can understand why you're angry and why you do not want to return home after being kicked out. Good luck with that as well.

By the way, I had an old roommate who was legally blind and was therefore unable to get a driver's licence himself. Fortunately, he has been able to find employment doing work at call centers. He worked for years answering phones for Aaron's (the rental place) in their customer service dept and they were very good at accommodating for his disability. He now works answering customer service calls for the local power company. Have you checked with any employment agencies and explained to them about your disability? Perhaps an employment agency could help you find an accommodating position like the one my ex-roommate has. Just a suggestion. Peace,

Ken

#462905 - 03/20/14 06:37 PM Re: Losing Everything [Re: TW16]
TW16 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Again I had another argument with my dad last night. I have been trying to plan a trip to go up to Washington to get my bike and other belongings, and my dad got upset because I had to change my plans. Things come up unexpectedly, stuff happens. Plans can never be set in stone. Apparently my dad does not understand that concept. I told him I don't even want to live in Utah anyway; the only reason I am is because the cost of living is cheaper in Utah than in Washington, and also because I was told that it would be easier for me to find a job in Utah than in Washington. Even if I move back to Washington, I would just be in the exact same situation I am now except for the geography and I wouldn't be getting verbally abused on a regular basis. I would still be jobless and nearly homeless.

Today my job called me and told me that I cannot appeal my termination because I sent the paperwork in more than five (5) days from the time I received it. I was under the impression I had five business days, not five calendar days. The paperwork said "must be received within five days," but I assumed it was business days, not calendar days because that is what I have always been told by companies that needed something from me that had a deadline. So, I guess I have to cut my loses with this job.

As for receiving unemployment, my chances are looking bleak as I was told today that I am currently ineligible. I am hoping that that changes soon. I really need this as I have no more money to pay my bills; I have not been able to pay any of my bills this month, and the money I am using to go to Washington to get my belongings is barrowed, so I have to pay it back whenever I get my tax return--which I am still waiting for.

In the meantime I have been helping take care of people's pets while they are out of town, and even though it is not the best job, I am hoping I can get hired on. Since I am being trained I am being half the amount I would normally get if I were doing the jobs on my own, but I need a bike since I can't drive due to a disability. The person training me told me that she made nearly $200/day for nearly two weeks, but that is not consistent; sometimes she makes much less than that each day. (This is a company, and if I do get hired on taxes will be taken out. The company is in the phone book and on the Internet.) I might even be able to housesit for some clients. I don't know how much that will pay, but when I told the employer I used to housesit for $50/day--but never spent the night--she told me that I would be paid more than that.

TW16

#463388 - 03/29/14 07:55 PM Re: Losing Everything [Re: TW16]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hi TW. I hope everything is going ok. Had much luck with the pet sitting thing since you posted this? I hope you can update us on how things are going soon. I am pulling for you. Peace,

Ken

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.