Newest Members
Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2
12503 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12503 Members
74 Forums
64194 Topics
447971 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#463495 - 03/31/14 05:02 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Sven Offline

Temazepam it is... I can pick it up at the pharmacy tomorrow and hopefully it will work. I have another appointment friday to talk about the effects etc
Into souls on the tree of pain
From the firefly a red orange glow
See the face of fear
Running scared in the valley below
~ Bullet The Blue Sky - U2

#463594 - 04/03/14 04:38 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Sven Offline

First night was great, slept from about 9.30 till 6am.
2nd night was alright too, except i woke up in the middle for a hour or 2. Nightmares maybe, not sure. Either way im optimistic about and am already feeling a bit better... smile
See the face of fear

#463635 - 04/03/14 11:43 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Melatonin is a natural hormone in the human body. I don't know where they get it for sale or why it's not regulated. One of the wisest professors I had at the Univ. was very wary about it because it might have unknown side effects. One has to be careful of anything which might duplicate hormone action. So I don't recommend it.

I've been on the generic equivalent of Ambien (actual name Zolpidem) for about 5 years. I use it because it helps me get to sleep with the CPAP machine whooshing about my face mask. Both my sleep doctor and PCP recommended it and they take it themselves. Ambien is a controlled substance and so it's dispensed only by prescription. It gets me to sleep in about 10 minutes. I take Zolpidem 10mg. The doc said it was easy to get off of the habit of it in one night. I tried it once and I thought I was going to die. So yes it is habit forming but mildly so.

I think I had a long-standing backlog of insufficient sleep. I'm gradually catching up on it. The sleep doctor told me that I awaken some incredible number of times per minute. I think that it's more about dissociative disorder and bad dreams in my case. I have discussed this with my T. It is something that is just not understood by the sleep doctors, he affirms. So what I think is going on with me is that when I get to the stage of REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep, where dream life would be intense, Something in my mind awakens me whenever I start to drift toward a nightmare. Yet my mind is trying to work out that matter of what happened to me and when it starts to work on that it wakes me up just enough so that I don't have the nightmare. Yet I'm not fully awakened and I'm unaware of that. Because of this, I don't have normal REM or deep sleep and this causes other health problems.

I think that dissociative disorder, such as I have (or have had) changes the rhythmic pattern within the brain. You can call it bad dreams or maybe it's as simple as bad rhythms established in the brain during the trauma that causes dissociative disorder. The adverse rhythms become entrained and are difficult to heal as far as anything I know. I have found that good soothing music helps me sleep. It helps if this music comes on with the REM sleep stage. This might be a couple of hours after entering sleep. I like music of Mozart or Haydn for this purpose. I do this by napping in the afternoon when such music is playing on the FM.

Although the sleep doctors don't know anything about what I just said, I'm pretty sure it applies to me. I can say more if you are interested.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (04/03/14 11:48 PM)

#463693 - 04/05/14 08:37 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Sven Offline

Temazepam is the brandless version of Normison.
It's doing its job well so far though I do wake up atleas once a night (that i remember, i suppose). But I only just started taking it so maybe that will change eventually. And I don't really mind it much because I already feel sooooo much better then before I started taking it. I talked to my docter on the phone yesterday because he had to cancel his appointments and said i can keep taking it this weekend and we have a new appointment monday.
I hope i can keep taking it, perhaps not every day that wouldn't be wise but to be able to take it when i need would be great.

Would there be any reason Ambien is better then the rest or then what I am taking?
Also I read Ambien is not for staying asleep but for falling asleep. So if even today you still keep waking up on Ambient, don't you need something else?

My problem was falling asleep at all and when i wake up I can't get back to sleep.

See the face of fear

#463818 - 04/07/14 06:08 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
I Want 2 Thrive Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, U.S.A
I was on Ambien for 2 years, it made me very irritable.

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind" C.S. Lewis
My Story: Short / Long version. *TRIGGERS*

#463837 - 04/08/14 02:32 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Sven,
I had the same problem. Before trying prescription sleep medication, I tried over-the-counter sleep pills. I found that 1/2 of an Excedrin PM or Tylenol PM was just right for me on the nights I could not get to sleep.

Of course, and I know you've been told this, I also found it important to cut back through the day on caffeinated beverages and foods. Most importantly, I started listening to recordings of rain or rivers at bedtime.

I have a computer near my bed, so I find videos on youtube (search "sleep sounds" or "rain on a roof" or NetFlix (search "Fireplace For Your Home: Cascade Mountain Stream"), and I turn the monitor screen off (or you can cover it with a dark towel) to darken the room.

As much as I hate to admit it, my doctor was also correct in advising that daily exercise and a balanced diet played an important role. They really made a difference, especially when I cut down on carbohydrates.

Will you keep us posted?

#463955 - 04/11/14 12:07 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: I Want 2 Thrive]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: I Want 2 Thrive
I was on Ambien for 2 years, it made me very irritable.

I was on it for two weeks and it made me very crazy. It was to counter a massive dose of steroids I was given two summers ago and I was prescribed the full 10 mgs (I'm a relative light weight at 145-150 lbs). I learned that if I took the pill, I would be unable to get up the stairs within 15-20 minutes (and I'm in good physical form). My partner caught me sort of sleepwalking in my underwear with the car keys in my hand at 2 in the morning wanting to go buy an ice cream cone. That was when it was obvious Ambien was way too much for me. I believe that since then, the recommended initial dose for patients was halved.

Fortunately, the steroid dose was a one-time thing and I weaned myself off the Ambien as quickly as I could. It was very addictive and that scared me, and it took an effort of patience and incremental dose decreases over several days to free myself of it.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#463962 - 04/11/14 09:31 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Chase Eric]
I Want 2 Thrive Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida, U.S.A
Eszopiclone (Lunesta) was far worse for me, than the Ambien. I have found (personally) it is better to be sleepy, than biting coworkers heads off.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.