Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
7 registered (Jay1946, caesar14, Obi, Going forward, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63438 Topics
443459 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#463301 - 03/28/14 03:50 AM Sleep medication
Sven Offline

Was not sure where to post this, so I guess this seemed the best choice. I thought there used to be a health forum or something like that? Anyways...

I've seen my general doctor yesterday about sleep medication and he was reluctant at first until he heard how many hours i've been sleeping the past few weeks (3-5 hours or nothing).
So from what I understand is that most sleep medication is highly addictive and only works for a couple of weeks?
He mentioned a couple of names like Temazepam and Zolpidem if i remember correctly.

Does anyone here have experience with this stuff? Or knows of a good site where I can read about the pro's and con's of every med? It would of course be preferable if it doesn't make you drowsy during the day...

Any advice is welcome!
Into souls on the tree of pain
From the firefly a red orange glow
See the face of fear
Running scared in the valley below
~ Bullet The Blue Sky - U2

#463303 - 03/28/14 04:39 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Cthulhu Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cascadia
Hey Sven,

Glad you're seeking help from your doctor. These two sites may be of help to you. I have no experience with either of those two drugs but I am on a benzo like Temazepam and sometimes use it to sleep. It helps.

http://www.drugs.com/temazepam.html

http://www.drugs.com/zolpidem.html

I do know drugs effect different people differently, so you may have to do some experimenting on yourself to find what works for you.

Hope someone here can give you the info you want!

-Cthulhu

Edited by Cthulhu (03/28/14 04:40 AM)

some context

#463308 - 03/28/14 07:55 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Be mindful of the high addiction potential of benzo drugs. Have you tried weaker stuff like Tylenol PM, or even warm milk or a glass of wine before bed?

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#463324 - 03/28/14 01:01 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Sven Offline

I dont really want to get in the habit of drinking before bedtime.
I have tried warm milk, milk banana smoothies, exercise, warm showers, no tv/laptop before going to bed, mind relaxing exercises, etc. But nothing worked so far.
And I know sleep medication is only to be used for a couple of weeks or so but who knows, maybe it's the break i need. I NEED to get some sleep somehow, even if its just to get trough my finals at school in may. I can't afford to fail.
I have another appointment monday where we will discuss it some more and I guess make a choice.
See the face of fear

#463328 - 03/28/14 03:04 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
bey Offline

Loc: canada
I used sleep meds for a while, because I too was sleeping maybe 1-4 hrs a day at best, and everything, including my health, was suffering. They worked while I took them and I got some rest and the world started to look a little clearer. I dont take them now, I weaned off them not too long ago without too much fuss. Hope your dr can answer any questions you have and help you get some rest soon.

#463334 - 03/28/14 05:57 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Sven Offline

Yeh I was thinking maybe take them now for a week or so and then again when I'm having my finals... I'll ask if that's possible i guess
See the face of fear

#463335 - 03/28/14 05:59 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Sven Offline

They all seem to mention that maybe you shouldn't take them if you are prone to a miles long list including 'depression'.
Even if they are used for anxiety disorders for example..
See the face of fear

#463361 - 03/29/14 09:18 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
melatonin is a natural sleep inducer. here we can buy it over the counter like a vitamin. it is the natural substance that your body produces to induce the sleep cycle. you might try that. as far as I know it is not addictive in any way and many people have told me it is really helpful. and it has the advantage of being a natural. I hope it gets better man.
Jeff
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#463365 - 03/29/14 10:25 AM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Rusty563 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Anywhere, USA
I agree with Newground.

I have had insomnia since I came out of the womb. I've taken all kinds of prescription meds that help me get to and stay asleep. The down side for me is the hangover I get the next morning. Then one day my psychiatrist suggested melatonin. I take 10 mg (her prescribed amount)a night just before I crawl into bed. The pills dissolve and within 30 minutes (I buy a brand called Finest at Walgreen's) I'm dozing and no hangover in the morning.

The thing about melatonin is it induces sleep and your body takes over from there. If you're having trouble staying asleep your doctor may take a different approach but discussing melatonin to get you started couldn't hurt.

All that said, also talk to your pharmacist about any possible negative drug interactions taking melatonin may cause. Though melatonin is pretty tame you never know if there's a potential for negative effects with any other medications you're taking.

Rusty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOkMSf-F14

#463385 - 03/29/14 06:33 PM Re: Sleep medication [Re: Sven]
Sven Offline

Hmmm i looked melatonine up but it says its prescribed for old people, blind people and people on certain medication.

Lunesta: (Eszopiclone) is slightly effective in the treatment of insomnia where difficulty in falling asleep is the primary complaint.The benefit over placebo is of questionable clinical significance.Although the drug effect and the placebo response were rather small and of questionable clinical importance, the two together produce a reasonably large clinical response

I also tried valdispert for a while btw but i didn't notice any change. It's a 'natural' med that's supposed to help with sleeping and nervosity.
See the face of fear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.