Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
5 registered (unhappycamper, I Want 2 Thrive, Obi, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444204 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#463020 - 03/23/14 11:53 AM Passed in Ga.: Child Victims Testify Via Video
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Last week, Georgia HB 804 passed, which makes it possible for child victims of abuse to testify via live video feed so they do not have to testify in front of their alleged abusers.

Defense attorneys will still be able to cross examine them face-to-face, but the alleged abuser will probably be in the courtroom, and the child in a nearby room, but not seeing the alleged abuser.

Good progress for hurting children.

Here is a link to the page containing the law. Be advised: I'm not sure the final version of the bill is on this page, as it was changed during the last day of the session.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20132014/HB/804

#463022 - 03/23/14 12:11 PM Re: Passed in Ga.: Child Victims Testify Via Video [Re: Disappointed]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Thank you for posting this. I watch a lot of legislation for my job and last saw that the bill was tabled by the Senate.
I didn't realize the bill was immediately taken back up. It appears the Senate and House versions were reconciled since the Senate version passed the House on 3/20.

I think this is the amended version:
Georgia Senate Bill

I don't see Governor Deal vetoing something like this.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#463023 - 03/23/14 12:46 PM Re: Passed in Ga.: Child Victims Testify Via Video [Re: Disappointed]
Disappointed Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I think you're correct on Governor Deal.

Did you see who sponsored it?

One of them is running for Congress. Not sure I'd vote for him, but it's interesting.

On tabling: They tabled EVERY bill that day, and then took them off one after another, machine-gun style. Last day is always hectic.

Edited by Disappointed (03/23/14 12:47 PM)

#463039 - 03/23/14 06:10 PM Re: Passed in Ga.: Child Victims Testify Via Video [Re: Disappointed]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Thank you.

Puffer

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.