Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (traveler), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445822 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#462715 - 03/16/14 12:49 PM tired of being triggered
Quixote0028 Offline

Loc: Texas
I'm sick and tired of getting triggered. I feel like it happens everyday to some extent. Today was pretty bad. I was in Starbucks this morning when Paul Simon's Graceland began to play over the speakers. This was my father's favorite song and he occasionally played it during the abuse. I just sat there tryingnot to cry.... i m just so sick of all of this and I don't know how to make it stop.

#462716 - 03/16/14 01:03 PM Re: tired of being triggered [Re: Quixote0028]
InsideTheWall Offline

I know what its like, I get triggered a hundred times a day and can't make it stop. Anything that reminds of childhood will trigger me.

#462717 - 03/16/14 01:37 PM Re: tired of being triggered [Re: Quixote0028]
Rusty563 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Anywhere, USA
Ditto here. That's one of the reasons I've returned to MS. I've "testing" myself by facing my triggers (passing a catholic church, watching tv shows with CSA story line) I thought if I faced them I could desensitize myself but, alas, my little experiment has only put chinks in my armor. Word to the wise: learn from my mistake.

My therapist even fusses at me when I tell her about my stunts. She knows all too well that we have triggers all around us but my question is, is it possible to avoid them at all? I asked her if there would ever be a day when my ptsd would go away. Unfortunately, for me, it's here to stay. I have to learn to live with it. Life's a (excuse my language) fucking bitch my friends and THAT'S why I've returned to MS.

(((hugs)))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOkMSf-F14

#462844 - 03/19/14 06:25 AM Re: tired of being triggered [Re: Quixote0028]
Justtroy Offline

Loc: australia
if some one finds the secret to stop them i would love to know. i get them while driving to a job or just watching tv and even on some of the most important days of my life (birth of my kids) and i still cant shake them same as you 100 times a day and all i want is to enjoy a day just one without the triggers.

well one to start with and then i might try for two dont want to be to greedy

#462946 - 03/21/14 04:24 PM Re: tired of being triggered [Re: Quixote0028]
justplainme Offline

There are so many techniques now a days you can use, From EMDR, to cognitive re-sensitizing and meditation, i suggest you research them, they can be extremely helpful.

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#462997 - 03/22/14 11:48 PM Re: tired of being triggered [Re: Quixote0028]
jas4159 Offline

I can really relate also, although I have recovered enough to not get triggered very oftenn anymore, but it really sucks and I am sorry you feel so bad. for what it is worth when i was heavy into recovery I couldn't deal very well with the over abundance of triggers. I learned to look at my triggers diffently by considering them moments of insight that i could use to identify areas i needed to work on emotioinally. In a sence they became opportunities for learning in the course of my recovery. They actually became a pretty good tool in the long run. As others have said there are many techniques that work - i hope you find this helpful. and i hope you feel better

rich

Edited by jas4159 (03/22/14 11:50 PM)

rich

justanothersurvivror.wordpress.com

#463011 - 03/23/14 04:05 AM Re: tired of being triggered [Re: Quixote0028]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
I'm echoing rich's post. My triggers as always my weak and underdeveloped places. I skinned my knees ALOT learning what good sense was for me, but that was part of the process of strengthening my weak spots. After decades of repeating the same behaviors expecting different results, I am finally concluding that changing myself is the only thing that brings change into my life. And, the neat thing is that it is something I can do, I can learn, and I have control of.

Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.