Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
4 registered (Scott1962, Mike26, 2 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63580 Topics
444209 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#462644 - 03/15/14 03:16 AM Being BOLD
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I applied for and got accepted into a 3 month program for improv, which will result in a few public performances at the end of the 3 months.

One thing my recovery from CSA in the last few years has taught me was to learn to trust my heart, to follow my heart, and to take risks while following the intuition of my heart. It has led me to taking several uncomfortable steps in directions my mind would say I'm crazy for pursuing. But each time I followed my heart, I have experienced immense growth.

Improvisational acting seems to have some sort of direct and profound impact on PTSD symptoms. I shall follow this path as long as I can, until I find that my heart leads me somewhere else.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#462645 - 03/15/14 04:05 AM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Fantastic D! Let us know when you will be hosting SNL.

Jude
But I won't back down.
Tom Petty

#462651 - 03/15/14 05:10 AM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Congratulations for following your heart. Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#462662 - 03/15/14 08:58 AM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Good for you, D!

wishing you all the best.

{{{{{{{D}}}}}}}

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#462675 - 03/15/14 01:48 PM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
jas4159 Offline

I love improvational acting. I also act. parttime on camera and stage. and it was very useful in expressing myself

congrate on your 3 month program and good luck with it.

rich

rich

justanothersurvivror.wordpress.com

#462692 - 03/15/14 06:14 PM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
justplainme Offline

GOOD GOIN MY MAN!

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#462762 - 03/17/14 06:44 PM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Well it appears I lucked out with this improv troupe. The director of the troupe is also a therapist, and actually designed this particular troupe to be therapeutic.

We had our first 'rehearsal' last night and she had us doing all sorts of weird exercises (like moving around and making funny noises). Doing it was jarring, but watching other people do it was mesmerizing. Group building and bonding exercises. To help build group cohesion, bonding, and building trust and repoire.

I can't stop thinking about the experience I had last night. And I can't wait to see how this group develops over the next 3 months.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm still extremely depressed because I'm lonely and I don't know how to make friends. I'll be admitting these faults to this group, and hope that I don't have the same emotional reaction that I have whenever someone 'tries to help' - feeling like a moron because someone is trying to help me for being a moron (not knowing how to make friends).

Also, I think I want to try MDMA in a therapy session. I keep encountering articles about how MDMA has helped thousands of people with PTSD overcome their fears and anxieties.

I've been trying for 30 years now and my life has become more and more lonely. I can feel it in my bones. I hate living this way and I'm angry that I was even born at all.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#462790 - 03/18/14 06:36 AM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Magellan

I am happy for your excitement about your improv group. Congratulations and I hope it proves to be an outlet that allows you enjoy and see the good in yourself. It will allow you see you have much to offer. Being and interacting with others will hopefully bring you a sense of belonging. You have been inspiration for many now it is your time to enjoy and live the life you deserve.

Enjoy improv!!!

Kevin

#462912 - 03/20/14 07:32 PM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Magellan,

I'm two things: jealous AND very happy for you. I love that kind of stuff. I'm an extrovert of sorts who loves the challenge of winning over an audience. Part of it is CSA leftovers---and part is ADHD---but improv---whether it be a presentation where I "wing it", or true improv like you are talking about gets the dopamine flowing.

It is very much a cathartic exercise to be able to assume another role if only temporarily. Best of luck---and enjoy the experience. May it take you in an unexpected and helpful direction.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#462950 - 03/21/14 04:49 PM Re: Being BOLD [Re: Magellan]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Magellan
One thing my recovery from CSA in the last few years has taught me was to learn to trust my heart, to follow my heart, and to take risks while following the intuition of my heart.

Awesome work Magellan!!!

Emoting your truth is awesome.. Improv singing, contact dance, improv movement in nature like snorkelling, dirtbiking, aikido have helped me a lot.

Keep it up!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.