Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442051 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#462197 - 03/07/14 07:53 PM Anyone just want to play like a kid?
DRA Offline

I've been watching a bunch of superhero TV because it's what I did when I was a kid to escape... it was how I would "play". Anyone know how kids actually play without watching TV or video games?
Strength in power is a false victory rooted in vapid grandiosity. Strength in character and integrity is the freedom to act righteously irrespective of the surrounding pressure. True power is the presence of mind to live with character and integrity.

#462212 - 03/08/14 03:17 AM Re: Anyone just want to play like a kid? [Re: DRA]
Tiger1982 Offline

Loc: Slovakia
Hello, friend smile

Yeah, I was the same when I was a kid, I loved superhero cartoons and shows, I escaped the harsh reality of my childhood using TV... I loved superheroes because they were strong, fast, they could defeat everyone easily... The were very different from me, I was weak, I was abused... I have no idea how kids play.

I didn't spend any of my free time playing with other children, this left a huge gap in me, I have no idea how to interact with other people, with girls, how to make friends. I do my best to learn these skills now, but I still feel like an outsider and I feel like I don't belong here.

Have a nice day, DRA

Andy

#462213 - 03/08/14 03:24 AM Re: Anyone just want to play like a kid? [Re: DRA]
Napoleon Offline

Loc: Utah
Wanted to and did...

When I was experiencing flash backs of abuse at 8, I went out and bought lego sets, the likes that my parents could never afford as a kid.

I did have some of the larger sets, I did have one 20$ and 50$ sets but never the humongous one's with "a zillion pieces" 75$ - 200$ sets as a kid. At first I thought about what it would have been like to have them as a kid... But then I realized that if I had these large sets as a kid I would have never taken them apart and learned how gears and stuff worked... Even as an adult it took some time to rip them apart to build my own designs...

So yes, have had that felling, and expressed it... I considered it part of my therapy. Now that I am experiencing flashbacks of abuse at 17 its not the same...

#462261 - 03/09/14 09:37 AM Re: Anyone just want to play like a kid? [Re: DRA]
wdmkr Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto, ON
I think tiger1982 just wrote my story too. The escape into the superhero world where I couldn't get hurt was huge. I didn't play with other kids either just tried to hide from every thing. I do still really enjoy watching the cartoons and movies with my son. Still let's me escape some what.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.