Newest Members
MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128
12506 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
4 registered (DaiseyLady, woodenshoes, BobdaFarmer61, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12506 Members
74 Forums
64200 Topics
448025 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#464568 - 04/25/14 03:37 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
Landscape Offline

Sorry it's been a while folks. I do want to try to make this happen...

I just came across what I think could be the perfect book to start with. Practical Wisdom: The Right Way to Do the Right by Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Sharpe.

The summary on Amazon says "In their provocative new book, Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Sharpe explore the insights essential to leading satisfying lives. Encouraging individuals to focus on their own personal intelligence and integrity rather than simply navigating the rules and incentives established by others, Practical Wisdom outlines how to identify and cultivate our own innate wisdom in our daily lives."

An article on Brain Pickings describes the book as "a fascinating and necessary exploration of how to nurture and reclaim the essential moral skill at the heart of character traits like courage, compassion, loyalty, fairness, generosity, and empathy, inspired by the timeless teachings of Aristotle’s philosophy yet grounded in invaluable insights from contemporary psychology."

The book is conveniently divided into four parts, so I think we should have our first meeting to discuss part one on Monday, May 12th from 9:30pm - 10:30pm Eastern Time.

That gives everyone three weeks to get the book and to read part one. Then, we can read the following parts--one per week--for each of the following three weeks.

Who's in? Respond here, or send me a PM.

#464583 - 04/25/14 10:43 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
Jay1946 Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Count me in. I've just downloaded it into my kindle.

Are we going to do it on the chat channel or here?

#464927 - 05/04/14 07:29 AM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
Landscape Offline

Bumping. Anyone else interested in participating?

First Meeting: Monday, May 12th from 9:30pm - 10:30pm Eastern Time
Book: Practical Wisdom: The Right Way to Do the Right by Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Sharpe.
Assignment: Read Part I

Respond here or PM me, so I know how many are coming.

#465277 - 05/12/14 10:07 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
Landscape Offline

It's not too late to join in the Book Club discussion. Next week, we'll discuss parts 1 and 2. Everyone is welcome.

When: Monday, May 19th from 9:30pm - 10:30pm Eastern Time
Where: In chat
Book: Practical Wisdom: The Right Way to Do the Right by Barry Schwartz and Kenneth Sharpe.
Assignment: Parts 1-2

Respond here or PM me, so I know how many are coming.

#465500 - 05/19/14 12:22 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
Landscape Offline

Hoping some folks are able to join tonight at 9:30 Eastern in the chatroom.

#466498 - 06/11/14 07:03 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
NoSimpleMachine Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
Landscape asked me to offer up a few suggestions for the book club so here goes.

Non-Fiction

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1713426.Predictably_Irrational
Looks at all sorts of ways (particularly in medicine and advertising/economics) where human beings make decisions that actually work against their rational self-interest, but do it consistently, hence the title of the book. A good read for getting insight in how we can get stuck in traps that don't help us, or for understanding the world around us.

The Cross in the Closet by Timothy Kurek
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16082010-the-cross-in-the-closet

A true account from a first-time author...a straight man raised in the conservative, anti-gay, fundamentalist southern tradition challenges himself to walk a mile in another's shoes by coming out as gay to his friends and family, dealing with the fallout as a real gay man would, and moves to the gayborhood of Memphis, attends gay equality rallies in D.C. and New York, and generally completely opens his worldview. Not the most technically polished piece of writing, but a powerful subject that is handled with honesty.

The Discarded Ones by James Tipper
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16081319-the-discarded-ones

Another true account written about a "troubled" teenager who is sent to a year-round Academy that is meant to reform kids...he has to choose between adapting to a bizarre world of skewed incentives or escape with his self intact. I found this book incredibly compelling, really couldn't put it down, and think it will appeal to anyone who's ever felt like the world around them is crazy. Potential trigger warning: does contain some adult-teen sexual contact (not from a first-person perspective). It's non-fiction but reads like a fiction novel. It was only research after the fact that revealed to me it was a true story.

Fiction
Blame by Michelle Huneven
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6514824-blame

A powerful, somewhat dark, fiction novel that chronicles the adult life of a woman who lives with the guilt of killing someone in a hit and run accident, goes to prison for it for several years, and tries to piece her life together after the fact. Think CSA survivors will relate a lot to her struggles and guilt, and the strides she makes within herself as she goes through life.

The Martian by Andy Weir
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18007564-the-martian

The least CSA-related book here, but a really engrossing shorter science fiction novel (that's also very scientifically accurate) about the crew of one of the first manned missions to Mars in the early-mid 21st century...one of the crew members, thought dead, is left on Mars by his crew when they have to abort their mission and he ends up having to use his wits and the materials at hand to survive long enough to be rescued. Plenty of light-hearted moments with a very likable character who has to work through some life-threatening scrapes in order to survive. Hope CSA survivors will appreciate someone who keeps his head down, works to solve his problems, and maintains a sense of humor through it all.

Edited by NoSimpleMachine (06/11/14 08:32 PM)
What good is it to sing Helplessness Blues, why should I wait for anyone else?

#467938 - 07/24/14 10:51 AM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
96789594 Offline

HI
i think it's a great idea! i read all of your posts and it seems that the majority is intrested in some PTSD books
i'v been reading THE POST TRAUMATIQUE STRESS DISORDER BY GLEN SHIRALDI it is recomended ,https://1in6.org/books/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-sourcebook/ .Actually i been reading a lot i find it very helpful! i'm curiouse if anyone is intrested .
Mark

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.