Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
5 registered (ScottSmith, Obi, ethereo222, Mountainous Buck, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63218 Topics
442045 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#463498 - 03/31/14 05:46 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
Landscape Offline

Thanks TXB. I didn't know that.

I'm open to the idea of doing a discussion asynchronously via the forums or PM, but think we'd all benefit from the real-time interaction. Hoping we can find a good time.

I'm going to give it a few more days to see if there is anyone else interested and get more input from those that are.

#463533 - 04/01/14 10:43 AM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
We don't have to do PTSD. There are several books by/about survivors. I can list some of them later.

It worked pretty well when we all met in a forum in the chat room at the same time. The hard part is scheduling everybody together. I thought it was worth doing.

The way to find a time is for the leader to list or suggest the several times they could be there. Then everybody goes down the list and selects the one or ones best for them.

Puffer

#463534 - 04/01/14 12:26 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hello

I have been following the thread and am interested in being part of the group.

Kevin

#463626 - 04/03/14 07:08 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
Landscape Offline

Puffer,
Originally Posted By: pufferfish
There are several books by/about survivors. I can list some of them later.

Please share some ideas. I'm new here, pretty new to all this and don't have a good handle on what's out there.

Basically, I want to read something that gives me hope, inspiration and ideas I can incorporate into my own life. And, I want people to read it with because I think I'll get more out of it, and I'm more likely to read it if I've committed to others that I will.

Here are my preferred times:

• Monday 9:30pm Eastern
  • Wednesday 9:30pm Eastern
  • Sunday 8:00pm or 9:00pm Eastern

What works for others?

#463633 - 04/03/14 11:17 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

There is a book: Nice To Meet me, by C.K. Carlton.

It is about recovery. It is not complicated or depressing. It's about grandfather abuse and how he seeks healing. He is a member of MS and has posted about his book. I don't have the link handy at the moment. He goes by a different "handle" in MS.

http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Meet-Me-C-K-Carlton-ebook/dp/B006N2VOWC/

I think any of the 3 times listed would work for me.

Puffer

#463644 - 04/04/14 07:53 AM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: txb]
sentry Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Canada
Hey landscape. Thanks for taking the initiative to start a MS Survivor Book Club. I am interested but have never been part of something like this. I think txb brings up a good point about the different times zones.
I am very interested in reading with you and others the Mike Lew book " Victims No Longer" I read right threw it when I first got it and have referred to it off and on. The feed back and sharing of thoughts with other survivors would be something that we all could profit from I think.
Sentry

#463860 - 04/08/14 03:47 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Landscape, wonderful idea, and thanks for suggesting Nice To Meet Me, Puffer! If the group decides to read it, I'd love to be part of any discussion. I've made progress (and I've encountered setbacks) since it was published over two years ago, so maybe what I've learned since could be interesting for a discussion?

Chris
www.ckcarlton.com

#463861 - 04/08/14 03:52 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: BuryingJack]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

BuryingJack

I think it's normal for us to have ups and downs.

Are you going to write a sequel?

I've made tremendous progress myself but I'm still struggling.

Puffer

#463865 - 04/08/14 04:12 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
BuryingJack Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi Puffer -

Absolutely agree. I've learned a little more about things that push me into a down period, and I'm also finding that I manage the downs better than I used to - tangible progress, but it's a slow process and being patient is important for me.

This summer I'll be releasing a second edition (new beginning and end). I think the perspective I've gained in the past several years will make for a better read.

Chris

#464075 - 04/14/14 03:26 PM Re: Male Survivor Book Club? [Re: Landscape]
innervoice Offline

Loc: NY
I am also interested. I am open to the PTSD book as well, but fine with anything. I think this could be a great group.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.