Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
6 registered (Rich1967, lukehorace, tbkkfile, 3 invisible), 27 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63773 Topics
445349 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#461552 - 02/26/14 01:27 PM Ontario government rejects child abuse monument
ShortedDiode Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON Canada
I saw this article while I was on the train this morning and it seriously upset me:

Ontario declines child abuse monument for Queen's Park

It's a follow up article to this late last year:

Artist fighting to have child abuse monument at Queen's Park

I'm so upset that I'm on the verge of tears right now. After Michael Irving mortgaged his house and cashed out his retirement savings to fund building the sculpture, it's sitting at the end of his driveway because the Ontario government has refused to allow it to be donated and placed on the provincial legislature's grounds because they don't want to spend the money needed to move it there and for upkeep. This is the same Ontario government that wastes staggering, eye-popping sums of money in the billions on things like eHealth, Ornge, the total mismanagement of the electricity system, etc. The fact that the Ontario government is perfectly happy to let a $1.5 million gift of a memorial to CSA survivors sit at the end of the sculptor's driveway instead of giving it pride of place on the legislature grounds speaks volumes about their attitude towards survivors.

I think about the $1.1 billion the government crassly spent in contract cancellation penalties for the two gas fired power plants under construction they scrapped right before the last provincial election to secure votes in those two ridings and the other cost-no-object waste these politicians engage in, and how many times over that one scandal alone would pay for that sculpture's installation at Queen's Park and the cries of no money ring hollow. That they're willing to pay a billion plus for a few votes at the drop of a hat but let a memorial to CSA survivors sit in a driveway. I can't begin to describe how angry I am.

#461553 - 02/26/14 02:50 PM Re: Ontario government rejects child abuse monument [Re: ShortedDiode]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

SD -

Thank you SO much for this. I clicked the second link you posted and watched the video and it was so incredibly moving. If Toronto doesn't want it, maybe they can send it down here????

If you Google Rob Ford, you'll see one possible reason this is going nowhere for Michael Irving. I wonder if the monument has a space commemorating the memory of Emanuel Jaques. The entire city erupted in fury and riots over his murder in early August '77, and his funeral was a mob scene of angry and mourning residents. Toronto has a special scar from the memories of the worst extremes of child sexual abuse, but there is no memorial to little Emanuel - not even a plaque. In fact, the only living memorial are the murders who still rot in behind Canadian penitentiary bars.

This simple, beautiful tribute is so healing. And of all places, Toronto should have it. Upkeep? Perhaps they should leave that to the children of Toronto, with school field trips. My sixth grade class did that - in fact, we kept up an entire nature trail in the woods, and learned a lot in the process. Let the kids take care of it. It belongs to them, anyways - to them as much as it belongs to any survivor.

And if they do install it, I will go and place a flower for Emanuel. He didn't survive. He's the voice at MS you don't hear. But I'll speak for him - because I suspect he, too, would want it.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#461564 - 02/26/14 04:44 PM Re: Ontario government rejects child abuse monument [Re: ShortedDiode]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
I also clicked on the second link. The monument is graceful and dignified and speaks for all of us who have survived. It is simply beautiful.

The story for the inspiration of the creation of the monument is tragic. How close most of us have been to taking the same action as Martin Kruze in our desperation of emotions.

Perhaps a fund raising drive could begin with public input if a home could be found. I would be so very proud to be a part of such an effort.

Thank you, ShortedDiode, for sharing this story and the link to view the monument. I hope the Ontario government will reconsider their decision.

#461685 - 02/28/14 12:53 AM Re: Ontario government rejects child abuse monument [Re: ShortedDiode]
ShortedDiode Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON Canada
I don't think Rob Ford has much to do with this since he's a municipal politician (mayor of Toronto albeit pretty much in title only at this point) and issue of the sculpture has been between Michael Irving and the provincial government (Ontario). Rob Ford's relationship with the government of Ontario's been pretty rocky too, so I don't think his views carry much weight there. Since the province has made it clear that they're not interested in having this sculpture, I wish the City of Toronto would offer to take it and install it on city owned land. Sadly, if that idea came up, Rob Ford would probably be adamantly opposed to it.

The sad thing is that the government's treating the sculpture the same way survivors get treated. Ignored. Marginalized. Kicked to the curb.

#461818 - 03/01/14 05:56 PM Re: Ontario government rejects child abuse monument [Re: ShortedDiode]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Perhaps private donors could contribute to the moving of this art piece? CrowdFunding? It is unfortunate though that Queen's Park does not want to fund the transportation costs, however I think this should serve as a good lesson to all future designers of such amazing pieces that they should factor in/think about logistics when designing and making their projects. I would hate for this man's project to have been made in vain.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.