Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
1 registered (md4e), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64168 Topics
447773 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#46175 - 06/27/03 12:59 AM Coach abuses boy
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
This is sad at me. This is not my coach, it is my sport. But this is another evil man who does this at someone. I do not know why it all happens, who these people think that they are?

Skating coach surrenders on sex charge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Kimball Perry
Post staff reporter

A nationally renowned ice skating coach now based in Cincinnati surrendered to police Friday on allegations that he committed sex crimes against one of his young male students.
David Lowery, 68, turned himself in at 9:30 Friday morning to Hamilton County Sheriff's deputies, but was later released on his own recognizance.

That followed Lowery's indictment Wednesday by a Hamilton County grand jury for attempted gross sexual imposition, sexual battery and two counts of gross sexual imposition. Those charges carry a maximum sentence of nine years in prison.

The indictment accuses Lowery of sexually touching a 16-year-old Western Hills boy who takes classes from him at Sports Plus.

A woman who answered the phone Friday at Lowery's house refused comment and hung up.

Lowery's web site lists him as a former Canadian skating champion and past president of the Professional Skaters Association.

"(Lowery) is very big in the ice skating world," the teen's aunt said Friday.

She said Lowery has attempted to prevent the teen and another member of his family who also is active in ice skating from practicing at the rink.

Both teens, their aunt said, are Olympic hopefuls in their sport.

The boy was 16 at the time of the alleged incidents, the aunt said, but now is 17.

The indictment's four charges include one that alleges oral sex was involved. The alleged incidents took place in January and February.

The ice arena, Sports Plus, issued a statement Friday saying Lowery wasn't its employee but does rent ice time from it for his skating school.

After he was released Friday from the Hamilton County Justice Center, Lowery was ordered by a judge to "have no contact with juveniles" except family members.

Even with young relatives, he must have supervision by another adult.

Lowery is scheduled to be in court next week to answer the charges.

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#46176 - 06/27/03 09:50 AM Re: Coach abuses boy
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Quote:
I do not know why it all happens, who these people think that they are?
Leosha, maybe these people don't know who they are--and they are definitely looking for the answers in the wrong ways & in the wrong places! \:\(

Who do these people in our "criminal injustice system" think they are? Letting a child abuser go on his own recognizance (when he obviously doesn't even recognize himself)? Giving a maximum sentence of 9 years in prison for what he did?

Leosha this is truly sad, and it's very sad that you have gone thru something like this yourself. My hope is that there will be justice for you, for this boy, for all of us.

Let us keep building the sand castles of hope for justice...

Victor

#46177 - 06/27/03 12:56 PM Re: Coach abuses boy
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Leosha Listed to Victor and please remember that for every damned bad coach out there there are a thousand good ones.

About being released. Yeh Right!. Where do they get off on this I dont know. That really makes me mad. But I guess the system says you are innocent until proven guilty.

I am so ashamed that the son of a bitch is a Canadian. I know we are an exporting nation but this is way over the top.

I apologize to all skaters he may have abused.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#46178 - 06/27/03 01:24 PM Re: Coach abuses boy
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
It is so sad to see that men harm boys and teen boys. It is in so many professions where the adult is always going to be in contact with boys.

Mike, it is good to see you mention that, the vast majority of coaches are not predators. Most of the coaches I know like to coach because they like to be able to bring out skills in the young people they coach. Some coach because they see it as a power trip. I suppose that these are the dangerous ones.

Leosha, I hope you know that just as this teen boy was innocent, so were you. This happens way too often. So, while you are saddened over this boy, I hope you see that you are also an innocent victim. Hopefully, both this boy and you will see the day soon, when you can feel really good about yourselves and not be tortured by the memories.

Bob

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.