Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (Jim1961, TJ jeff, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64020 Topics
446791 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#461717 - 02/28/14 11:07 AM Re: Gay or Str8 - Nature vs Nurture [Re: Lazarus]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
i really like what you posted, Lazarus.
thoughtful and thought-provoking.

i also appreciate what you have to say, WalkingSouth.

i have thoughts and experiences which do not seem to fall into any convenient category.
a complex issue, to say the least.
people are MORE than labels.
as soon as we try to label ourselves, we discover that labels are inadequate and confining.
identities can be limiting as well as liberating.
having raised three children, i generally agree with you about "nature coded from birth".
while there are similarities...
all three of my children are completely unique characters, with their own value systems, and each views their childhood from a different perspective.
one would think they were raised in separate homes.

i have always believed that sexual orientation can not be "nurtured", because, as far as i know, most people who identify as "gay" were raised by heterosexual parents. i don't know anyone who has homosexual parents.

War
Love
Poetry

#461722 - 02/28/14 12:00 PM Re: Gay or Str8 - Nature vs Nurture [Re: victor-victim]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: victor-victim
i don't know anyone who has homosexual parents.

Thanks, Victor - I agree with what you said but thought it worth mentioning here that I know a few gay couples raising adopted kids. None of those kids have turned out to be gay so far, and I suppose that could be taken as further evidence in support of your "nurture" contention.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#461775 - 02/28/14 10:38 PM Re: Gay or Str8 - Nature vs Nurture [Re: Lazarus]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
There are lots of straight-acting closeted gay parents.

This is not really an answerable question, because human sexual desire covers such a broad spectrum, and sexual BEHAVIOR an even broader one, sometimes not really guided by carnal desire at all. Then take something as complicated as that and add centuries of cultural norms and taboos worldwide, and back through to antiquity.

People can have primary desires, and root that as a major anchor for their identity. But there's never been a gene found that causes being gay, as 21st century Americans understand the conceit to mean, nor will one ever be found.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.