Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (Obi, Sonata1, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447714 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#461693 - 02/28/14 02:40 AM First Post....and I don't even know where to begin
sadclown Offline

So I'll admit: I never considered I'd ever be doing anything quite like this before, but given the nature of this subject matter, its not exactly the kind of thing you can talk to your buddies about and get any semblance of legitimate, first-hand understanding. I'm 25 now, and am just now coming to a place where I can begin to address getting molested when I was 12. The problem is, I have no idea what to expect. I can't wrap my head around the idea that it was so traumatic, even though it clearly affected me, and still does. Honestly, it makes me angry that I can't move past it when it was so long ago. Its over, you know? I've spent the last half of my life avoiding and downplaying it but can't pretend anymore, but still: what comes next? How will therapy help? How do I know the therapist is actually competent? I mean, you can't just trust someone. Even if they don't mean you harm, what if they just suck at what they do? Why do I feel one way, when logically I feel the opposite? For example, I KNOW it wasn't my fault, but I feel like I am entirely to blame. How can I hold these opposite ideas at the same time on so much? Why can't I stop hating myself? Why can't I have a single clear feeling on anything regarding it, besides fear and shame? Everything is so mottled and mixed. Is recovery real? Does it really get better? Am I the only guy who feels this mix? Sorry for the rant; I guess I just feel really, really alone in this. I have some friends who know and they are super supportive (even though I never talk about it), but I still cant talk to them about it. They wouldnt know either way. I know I haven't even begun to handle this, but still: is there a point? Or is it just a waste of time and money and this is how I will feel forever?

#461694 - 02/28/14 02:49 AM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
no apologies needed, sadclown,
and no need to explain the sudden rush of questions.

first of all,
welcome to ms.org.
you have taken the all-important first step and started the process of disclosure.
facing up to what really happened, and how it hurt you is a turning point.

take it slow.
you didn't get here overnight.
answer your questions one at a time.
i will answer your last question first.
one thing i know for sure is that no feeling lasts forever.
whatever you feel now… good, bad, indifferent… it will change.

the best thing you said was "can't pretend anymore".
that is a great place to begin.
so take a stand and start your journey of recovery and self-discovery.
be yourself, get to know who that person is.

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Shakespeare (Hamlet)

War
Love
Poetry

#461704 - 02/28/14 04:48 AM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: sadclown
...Honestly, it makes me angry that I can't move past it when it was so long ago. Its over, you know? I've spent the last half of my life avoiding and downplaying it but can't pretend anymore
Many of us didn't start to come to grips with it till we were in our 40's and 50's. Imagine spending most of a lifetime "avoiding and downplaying". You are at a great advantage begining to heal at your age. No more pretending. You have to face every ugly detail. Feel every rotten feeling. As they say, the only way out is through it.

...what comes next? How will therapy help? How do I know the therapist is actually competent?
Therapists are humans. Some are better than others. I suggest looking for a therapist specializing in childhood trauma, if possible childhood sexual trauma. Read A Consumer's Guide to Therapist Shopping. Don't be afraid to leave a therapist if you feel its not a good fit.

Why do I feel one way, when logically I feel the opposite? For example, I KNOW it wasn't my fault, but I feel like I am entirely to blame. Why can't I stop hating myself? Why can't I have a single clear feeling on anything regarding it, besides fear and shame?
These feelings are nearly universal among survivors. We were kids. We believed adults always do the right things. If they were doing something bad to us, it must be our fault. It must be US who is bad. It takes time and alot of painful work to move past those feelings.

Is recovery real? Does it really get better? ...is there a point? Or is it just a waste of time and money and this is how I will feel forever?
Recovery is real. Yes it does get better. I can't promise that you will never feel the pain, shame, and anger again, but you can learn to live with it. You can learn to change the behaviors and actions that are rooted in those feelings. And you can come to have a life that works, healthy relationships, and peace.
Left here on my own or so it seems
I've got to leave before I start to scream
Joe Cocker

#461707 - 02/28/14 08:04 AM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Sadclown

You have taken brave steps--shared your abuse with friends who have been supportive and you posted here. This site is non judgmental and we all understand the pain, confusion and sense of loss you are experiencing.

CSA is traumatic, it impacts us emotionally and psychologically. We adopt coping mechanisms to deal with the pain--many are not healthy and robs us of ourselves. We try to eliminate the pain but in the end until we find support and face the abuse we are under the control of the abuser.

MS has the board, chat and private messages. It allows you to read at your pace and to share when you feel safe.

Support is important and I am glad you have friends there for you. Talking about it helps you to accept it--silence creates shame and you have nothing to be ashamed of--it was not your fault, the shame is the abusers shame. Hopefully you can find a therapist and for me I found support groups to be extremely positive. I felt free to talk and listen of CSA with others who knew what I was saying.

I am sorry you had to be here, because this is not a place anyone should have to live. But it offers hope and is part of healing. Take your time, feel safe and heal well.

Kevin

#461766 - 02/28/14 08:26 PM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
Rustam Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Welcome to the site, you have made a good beginning.

The contradictory feelings and thoughts are totally normal. Yes therapy really does help, it is very hard to describe how it helps but it does. When you meet the therapist you get a sense of whether the therapist would work for you if it does not feel right for you find another one.

#461768 - 02/28/14 08:41 PM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
Frustrated Offline

I am 50 and starting this process I feel very similar feelings the confusion the split decisions my fault not my fault right wrong I can handle it no I can't etc etc etc but on here your not alone

James

#461774 - 02/28/14 10:16 PM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Quote:
I've spent the last half of my life avoiding and downplaying it but can't pretend anymore, but still: what comes next? How will therapy help?

You just answered your own question. Therapy acknowledges the seriousness of what you were put through and the validity of your feelings. You've spent 13 years echoing the perp's messages: "it's nothing, it's ok, it's a secret, never tell," and all of your suffering gets squashed against that wall. Therapy says YOU MATTER. Your feelings matter, you can tell right from wrong, and you are allowed to feel bad about bad things being done to you. You are allowed to feel cheated, enraged, vengeful, hurt, confused, humiliated, and scared. You are allowed to feel all of these things, and allowed to say them. Without judging or blaming. And to be reassured by an expert that you were right and the perp was wrong.

The secrecy, the absence of justice, is the most poisonous part of SA. All those filthy feelings stay inside, the perp gets away with it, vanishes, so where are the feelings directed? Why, at yourself of course, because you're still there.

When you select an experienced, supportive, caring therapist, you are in a way beginning the walk towards justice - because inside YOURSELF you're coming to say that THIS WAS WRONG and I DESERVED BETTER.

Saying and confronting the secrets can be grueling. Think of it as scraping dead skin off a burn victim, or draining a boil. You need an advocate - and I honestly believe you'll feel better for having one.

I believe you can do this. Every later step gets easier, and you've made the right choice by starting.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of Heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#461784 - 03/01/14 12:11 AM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
sadclown Offline

Thanks for the insight, everyone. Its...a whole new level of confusion for me right now. I didn't really want to address it at all. Just sweep it under the carpet- sure, it happened, but its not a big deal and it was a long time ago. No harm done. But then savage and painful emotions tied to horrible memories kinda forced me into a corner of recognition. Ignoring it just isn't an option for me any more, though God knows I wish it were. It was a pleasant fiction. Though, as it stands, most of it is such a mix of emotions, I couldn't put anything into words outside of disgust and disdain for myself. The surrounding ones are words I don't know if this language has, in their strange mixtures and intensities. But the worst part is that for my whole life, I've been the sole authority on what is reasonable and true. No one else can be trusted...but now I am realizing that it turns out my perceptions are perhaps not as reliable as previously thought. Its a kind of second betrayal of mine against myself. Its good to know I'm not alone in this bizarre, contradictory thinking pattern, and its nice to be able to talk to others who genuinely can relate, and not provide sympathy. Which, frankly, sympathy is the last thing I want. Its bad enough I feel damaged, spoiled, and different (to say nothing of feeling complicit in unspeakable acts)- don't confirm it, you know? But yeah, thanks for the insight.....I still have a lot to figure out....like all of it, I guess

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed"- Ernest Hemingway

#461786 - 03/01/14 04:52 AM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Hi Sadclown,

I didn't begin remembering sexual and physical abuse from my father until age 53, and sexual abuse, physical abuse and torture from my mother until age 63. There is still much that is blocked, but I am committed to uncovering everything I need to in order to reach an authentic me. And, I continue to be hopeful, as I continue to see progress. The progress comes in tiny, tiny steps, but every so often I can see a broad change and improvement in my thinking. For me, you are right on target describing not being able to trust yourself. This has been so important for me, because as long as I pointed the finger at others, including my abusers, I missed the most important point. Ultimately, I am the only one I can ever change. I can't change others. I can only work through my damaged places and bring them into understanding and wisdom. The healthier my damaged thinking becomes, the better able I am to discern what is right for me and make wiser and wiser choices. Congratulations on beginning to take this on so young.

Sending you love and support,

Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#461792 - 03/01/14 08:54 AM Re: First Post....and I don't even know where to begin [Re: sadclown]
Sven Offline

Hi SadClown,

Coming here is a good start.
Not pretending it doesn't bother you anymore is too.
Feel free to write more here or in chat..
Take your time, there is no need to rush things... I think anyway

Sven
Into souls on the tree of pain
From the firefly a red orange glow
See the face of fear
Running scared in the valley below
~ Bullet The Blue Sky - U2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.