Newest Members
Collin, MG5555, ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett
12507 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Moriji (44), Nicos (48), weharry1959 (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (MissesMe, DaiseyLady, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12507 Members
73 Forums
64178 Topics
448031 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#461609 - 02/26/14 10:57 PM For Twelve Steppers on the Margins ( neopagan )
kcinohio Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
For those in twelve step recovery as a result of various coping mechanisms employed over the years after abuse bringing one to MS, found this resource useful. There are so few resources on neopagan (polytheist here) and twelve step, thought I'd pass along the resource.

It is a recent thesis in anthropology I believe, so is rather descriptive for the subject. Discusses the tension of being marginalized within a spiritual paradigm that still works, although the majority religion in play may not be as readily translated as for those of that faith.

http://scholarworks.csun.edu/bitstream/h....pdf?sequence=1

Has some neat historical references within it as well.

#461610 - 02/26/14 11:08 PM Re: For Twelve Steppers on the Margins ( neopagan ) [Re: kcinohio]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
great link.
thanks.

War
Love
Poetry

#461620 - 02/27/14 04:25 AM Re: For Twelve Steppers on the Margins ( neopagan ) [Re: kcinohio]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Thanks KC. I'm on page 31. I identify myself as a generic spiritualist, but fit the pagan definition pretty well. Medicine cards and runes have been the mainstay of my spiritual practice for 20 years now. I was in AA for 1 1/2 years beginning nearly 20 years ago and it got me sober. However, it did not meet my spiritual needs. That continues to be something I face in terms of group activity, however, my real challenge with group activity are abuse related challenges.

I continue to do my work, and I continue to heal. There is not a great deal of choice on the small island I live on, and while I have enjoyed the general philosophy of Unitarian Universalists--create your own theology--there is an absence of a spiritual center with this group. The focus is intellectual and there is virtually no feeling component, no sense of sacred space.

So, currently I'm working on myself to let go of my ingrained triggers with Christianity. I grew up in a rural southern u.s. southern baptist family, my father a southern baptist preacher and retired marine, and was sexually and physically abused by both parents in infancy through early childhood.

I mention this because there is a Reformed Church on island, very liberal, openly supports gay marriage(I'm gay) and the people are very warm. So, as I continue to work through my personal issues, I'm also trying to work through my issues with christianity. I don't need other people to believe the way I do, and I don't need to judge others or they way they believe. It's a challenging situation I have set up for myself, but something I want to work through.

Thanks for this topic. It's rare when there is anything in spirituality I connect to and feel inspired by.

Thank You,

Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.