Newest Members
myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise, kieran
12463 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
arty (46), ava_adore (28), babs (63), bkeithb (49), shylo (34), si (22), universe (33)
Who's Online
5 registered (manipulated, tbkkfile, matt123, 2 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12463 Members
74 Forums
63990 Topics
446608 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460977 - 02/17/14 08:44 PM LGB people in anti-gay communities die early
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
LGB individuals living in anti-gay communities die early

Shorter life expectancy of 12 years on average for LGB individuals in communities with high vs. low stigma

February 12, 2014 -- In the first study to look at the consequences of anti-gay prejudice for mortality, researchers at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health found that lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) individuals who lived in communities with high levels of anti-gay prejudice have a shorter life expectancy of 12 years on average compared with their peers in the least prejudiced communities. "The results of this study suggest a broadening of the consequences of prejudice to include premature death," noted the study's lead author, Mark Hatzenbuehler, PhD, assistant professor of Sociomedical Sciences. The study is online in the journal Social Science & Medicine.

"Our findings indicate that sexual minorities living in communities with higher levels of prejudice die sooner than sexual minorities living in low-prejudice communities, and that these effects are independent of established risk factors for mortality, including household income, education, gender, ethnicity, and age, as well as the average income and education level of residents in the communities where the respondents lived," said Dr. Hatzenbuehler. "In fact, our results for prejudice were comparable to life expectancy differences that have been observed between individuals with and without a high school education."

#460983 - 02/17/14 11:10 PM Re: LGB people in anti-gay communities die early [Re: Ever-fixed Mark]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Yes this is a no brainer. At work I am involved with two projects which directly correlate to this study. The first is a continuation of lobbying for the creation of an LGBTQ youth suicide prevention strategy. Given that bullying and lack of acceptance compound the stressors from mental health difficulties and/or increase negative feelings and prevent one from seeking out help and receiving proper support, the rate of suicide, attempted suicide, and suicidal ideation among LGBTQ youth is much higher than that of their non-LGBTQ peers. Having a specifically tailored policy, in conjunction with proactive strategies such as so-called "gay-straight alliances", sensitivity training, and anti-homo-/bi-/transphobic bullying policies has a drastic improvement on the reduction of suicide rates (and other proxy indicators such as suicide ideation) among not only LGBTQ youth, but all youth.

The second initiative is the launch of a pilot project targeting LGBTQ inclusivity and anti-discrimination training for staff at long-term care facilities. Often LGBTQ seniors are without traditional kinship and support networks enjoyed by their non-LGBTQ counterparts as they experienced estrangement from family due to widespread ignorance, institutional and social discrimination, and many who parented children had them taken away. When LGBTQ seniors come into long-term care facilities, staff and other residents can be quite heterosexist and homo-/bi-/transphobic. This too has a negative impact on their health and comfort. Among health care settings, long-term care facilities can be among the least tolerant.

Due to fear and past experiences, many LGBTQ persons respond much better to inclusive and culturally-catered health services and preventative strategies. People are affected by their surroundings; feeling loved, understood, included, visible, accepted, and unjudged will result in an individual receiving more appropriate medical responses as well as an enhanced sense of self and sense of backing/support.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.