Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
6 registered (md4e, Johnnygolightly, 4 invisible), 20 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443148 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460900 - 02/16/14 09:45 PM Teen jailed & raped for Facebook prank
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2014-02-13/news/the-facebook-comment-that-ruined-a-life/

An 18-year-old high school student in Texas got into a nasty flame war on Facebook, which escalated to comments that were both inappropriate and obviously a joke.

And it was much more inappropriate for hair-triggered "zero tolerance" prosecutors to arrest him for his FB posts and send him to jail to be raped.

His parents know, and are helpless to save him. He remains jailed. And he was still obviously joking.

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#461008 - 02/18/14 01:19 PM Re: Teen jailed & raped for Facebook prank [Re: SoccerStar]
George Offline

Loc: NY metro
Our founding Fathers must be rolling in their graves. As stupid & tasteless as his comments were, they were in no way illegal. This is what happens when they whittle away at our constitutional rights. I surely hope heads roll over this.

#461063 - 02/19/14 12:11 AM Re: Teen jailed & raped for Facebook prank [Re: George]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
i just started a thread on this topic...
censorship vs. sensitivity vs. expression

http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=460815

an issue that is always close to my heart.

War
Love
Poetry

#461065 - 02/19/14 01:36 AM Re: Teen jailed & raped for Facebook prank [Re: SoccerStar]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

It reminds me of those stupid Direct TV ads ... when your cable goes down, you get mad - when you get mad you drive too fast - when you drive too fast you crash into a zoo and get body slammed by a giraffe. Get Direct TV and don't get body slammed by a giraffe....

That's outrageous in a comedic sense. Yet it is equally outrageous in the most tragic sense to think that making a stupid post in Facebook can mean you'll get raped in jail. What this kid did was an over-the-top insipid remark. No excuse. But he did not deserve to have those in charge of "correcting" his behavior turn their backs on him and leave him to the whims of other inmates. NO ONE deserves that. It speaks volumes about what is wrong with our penal system. The rape of those in court-mandated incarceration is a complete abrogation of the duties of our criminal justice system. And until people stop treating it as a joke, it can happen to anyone. Don't think it can happen to you?...

I was walking through a parking lot with a friend a couple of years ago in New Orleans when a police car screeched to a stop in front of us and we were suddenly made to stand spread-eagle against the hood of the car. It so happened we matched the description of two other people who just held up a store two blocks away. I was flat-out innocent, but my protests ran on deaf ears as we were almost cuffed and run in (what saved us is that the actual guys were spotted and caught before we were hauled away). I never thought that could ever happen to me. And the parish prison system I could have been thrown into is rife with inmate-on-inmate sexual abuse. This is EVERYBODY'S problem.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#461069 - 02/19/14 02:28 AM Re: Teen jailed & raped for Facebook prank [Re: Chase Eric]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
when you think about all the child molesters and rapists that are never even accused, let alone exposed, arrested, convicted, sentenced, punished, imprisoned, etc...
it does kind of invite doubt about our imperfect justice system.

War
Love
Poetry

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.