Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
2 registered (Jim1961, royjay), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443345 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460272 - 02/07/14 11:45 AM Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse)
ig3 Offline

I thought this was worth sharing:

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2010/winter/10-myths

The first two were related to abuse if I remember correctly.

#460288 - 02/07/14 07:59 PM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I'm so glad the Southern Poverty Law Center does the work they do to debunk the homophobic rhetoric of anti-gay organizations.

I find the first two myths especially hurtful since I was a gay kid *before* I was sexually abused. Proposing that being abused makes you gay is not only a lie, it ends up tainting our sexuality by tying it to the abuse of a perp who was almost always straight.

How messed up is that?

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#460314 - 02/08/14 09:19 AM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Hey efm!

I realised that too when I was young, that my sexual attractions were always a part of me and I accepted that I was gay before my abuse started. However, I was aware of this myth when I was first coming to terms with my abuse and it made me fearful to open up to sóme people, namely family, and tell them why I had PTSD. I did not want them to think that my sexual orientation which they know about and resent/want to change was a consequence of my abuse. They are two separate things, but uneducated folks like my parents, still make that connection. It hurts real bad and is so insulting, infuriating, and frustrating.

#460342 - 02/08/14 06:38 PM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had the same challenge, JayBro.

I went to come out to my mum and I was very careful to make sure I didn't mention anything about my CSA as I wanted to keep them separate. Best laid plans, however... as soon as I told my mum I was gay, she paused a few moments and asked if when I went on the weekend away with Brother "K" I was sexually abused.

I was gobsmacked but managed to say "why do you ask?" - that's when I found out she had found bloody underwear in my bag when I cam home from that weekend. Clearly she suspected but never asked me, reported it, or did anything to take me out of Brother "K's" custody.

The "Sexual Abuse Vampire" myth had been very powerful, especially in good Catholic families like mine.

-efm

#460422 - 02/09/14 08:52 PM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
JayBro Offline

Hey efMark!

That's horrible what your mother (didn't) do!!! Mine too said that she suspected that the abuse was happening all along but never reported it, never stopped it, and never apologized for letting it continue. Just reading your post sent a spark of rage in me right now and I am so angry! Angry on your behalf, angry on the behalf of all of us dealing with similar ignorant and careless responses to our abuse (and to our abuse in conjunction with our sexual orientations).

To hell with her!!

Sending you my thoughts and BIG HUGS!

#460636 - 02/13/14 11:50 AM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
JRJohnson Offline

Comments that disparage and slur people based on their sexual orientation and gender identity are against board policies.

Edited by ModTeam (02/13/14 12:09 PM)
Edit Reason: Inappropriate remarks

#460646 - 02/13/14 03:08 PM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
JRJohnson Offline

removed comment
Edit Reason: Inappropriate remarks

Edited by ModTeam (02/13/14 03:37 PM)

#460659 - 02/13/14 07:22 PM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Glad you posted the link, ig. I'd read it a few days ago and it intrigued me.

I'll echo and expand on JayBro's experience. I knew I was gay and - my "mistake" - I dared stick to my guns in front of an abusive adopted mother and her third husband who variously threatened to have me "put away", among other threats. This was the 70s. Having already been vilified, I sought out help with my high school guidance department.

My guidance counselor didn't have to do much to groom me. I was ready-made for him. Already abused, rejected, vulnerable and gay. In short, to make it crystal clear, he didn't "make" me gay. I was already gay. The bastard took advantage of the shame already heaped on me to engage in a shameful, obscene, unconscionable act. He had the arrogance to repeatedly rape me in the mouth both while in his school office AND the church camp where I worked the following summer, a period of almost a year.

You can therefore understand if I'm particularly angry at groups or individuals who'd shame gay kids back into the closet. I was one of those kids. And it was a powerful, "straight" school administrator who used his "upstanding" position in school and church to murder my soul.

#460661 - 02/13/14 08:42 PM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: JayBro]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks JayBro, I appreciate your empathy and the hugs. I've been spending a while being angry at her now which is hard as she has dementia and I can't talk to her about how I feel. Such is life.

I feel like being a little gay boy in an institution made me more vulnerable than I'd have been otherwise. I know my mum feels great guilt about exposing me to the abuse, but it's hard to unwire the homophobia she's know all her life.

Know that being true to yourself is your first best destiny, JayBro.

-efm

#460828 - 02/16/14 12:03 AM Re: Debunking gay myths (some are related to abuse) [Re: ig3]
JayBro Offline

Hi Lancer and Mark! Thank you for sharing your stories.

Lancer, I can only imagine how horrible your experience must have been. It is absolutely true that us young pre-/teen gays were easy targets for our abusers. We had a burgeoning sexuality that was stigmatised and kept secret and we were often already subject to physical and emotional abuse and neglect; our yarning for love, acceptance, and sexual exploration was the perfect recipe for vulnerability to abuse. Plus, given the circumstances regarding homophobia, shame, and invisibility, the chances of us telling someone about the abuse were probably very slim. Even more attractive for those who wanted to abuse us.

I must say though, reading your example and those of others really does help in our own recovery and understanding of our trauma. The themes and patterns help give sense to the senseless. That aided me a lot in moving from a state of basic trauma recovery to one of existensial reflection.

Mark, I get what you mean about expressing feelings to your mother now. My mom is changing her temperment and seems to have forgotten her past role with us. I don't have it in me to cut my family out completely from my life, however I do not find any excuse for certain unacceptable behaviours, abuse, or hurtful words. I think you are absolutely right in saying that my main focus should be to myself and my self-determination.

Sending my love and my thoughts to you both.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.