Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dphoenix1701 (37), jaywiz2009 (69), mato (57)
Who's Online
2 registered (Doubter, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63803 Topics
445536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460724 - 02/14/14 01:05 PM As Gay as...
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
a party hat?
christmas?
a rainbow valentine?

nope just gay
study just released, the largest even done on male twins show that :being gay is at least partly genetic

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/538819/20140214/gay-gene-homosexuality-dna-genes-men.htm#.Uv5Qg6WE71o

likely 30-40% with other factors such as hormonal wash in the uterus and epigenetics also at play. And other factors we are not yet sure of but likely will eventually. What is clear is that CSA or your father not hugging you has nothing to do with it.

So there is nothing to feel ashamed, guilty, or embarrassed about, but there is a lot to be EMBRACED about.

whether we chose to live as a gay man meshing our orientation, our actions and our romantic template into one big purple purposed life is up to us. Having an orientation that is gay is definitely not.

As gay as… me

WoR Barrie 2011

#460741 - 02/14/14 05:36 PM Re: As Gay as... [Re: 1lifenow]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
There has been a significant body of progress establishing the biological basis of sexual orientation. People fixate on the idea of a silver bullet gene that could be switched on and off, but in the research several genes are implicated, genes are pleiotropic, the role of epigenetic factors is just beginning to be explored, and we know that in utero hormone levels affect sexual orientation also.

Here's the Guardian:

Quote:
Male sexual orientation influenced by genes, study shows

A study of gay men in the US has found fresh evidence that male sexual orientation is influenced by genes. Scientists tested the DNA of 400 gay men and found that genes on at least two chromosomes affected whether a man was gay or straight.

A region of the X chromosome called Xq28 had some impact on men's sexual behaviour – though scientists have no idea which of the many genes in the region are involved, nor how many lie elsewhere in the genome.

Another stretch of DNA on chromosome 8 also played a role in male sexual orientation – though again the precise mechanism is unclear.

Researchers have speculated in the past that genes linked to homosexuality in men may have survived evolution because they happened to make women who carried them more fertile. This may be the case for genes in the Xq28 region, as the X chromosome is passed down to men exclusively from their mothers.

It's settled science that organic sexual attraction is biologically based, all that is happening now is running down the specific factors at play. I love science.

I found this question neatly turned to the more pressing issue:

Quote:
Rahman [a psychologist at King's College London] rejected the idea that genetics research could be used to discriminate against people on the basis of their sexual orientation. "I don't see how genetics would contribute more to the persecution, discrimination and stigmatisation of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people any more than social, cultural or learning explanations. Historically, the persecution and awful treatment of LGBT groups has been because politicians, religious leaders and societies have viewed sexual orientation as 'choice' or due to poor upbringing."

Steven Rose, of the Open University, said: "What worries me is not the extent, if at all, to which our genetic, epigenetic or neural constitution and development affect our sexual preferences, but the huge moral panic and religious and political agenda which surrounds the question."

Word.

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#460767 - 02/15/14 03:25 AM Re: As Gay as... [Re: 1lifenow]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Thanks. Growing up in the rural southern u.s. in the 1950's is difficult to recover from. Everything helps. Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.