Newest Members
OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843
12365 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
gryffindor (67), KevinSweeney (57), latinflavor815 (52), latin_flavor_815 (52), RTMark (33), sabooka (35), southpaw10 (46)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12365 Members
74 Forums
63552 Topics
444012 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#460652 - 02/13/14 05:06 PM Judgement
timetorecover Offline

Loc: Mi
Perhaps others can help me with their experience of Judging, being judged, and judgement:

I just got out of individual therapy and I felt something when noticing a simple judgement of my own. the judgement isn't important...just something simple, like a strategy, about how something should be. it was my own evaluation system about what is a good therapist vs. a bad therapist.

It was a good judgement ... we have to have judgememnts ... and yet when I shared it with my therapist I felt a twinge of a tear...like sadness...or shame...of that I had a judgement. and so it goes with my fear of being judged by others.

which for me goes back to the everyday FEAR that I had during teenage years that I would be judged as gay or as wrong if the world knew about my secret life.

so judgement is a big thing in the problem area of my life. FEAR of being judged...and mean unfair judgements of others (which are really mean and unfair judgements against myself)

so any thoughts, help, suggestions?

#460654 - 02/13/14 06:07 PM Re: Judgement [Re: timetorecover]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
There's one thing I took away from my years as a christian (I'm no longer one) ...

"Just not lest ye be judged".

I'm of the firm belief that this is so fundamentally true. As we judge others, we actually judge ourselves.

At 42 years of age, with enough hindsight behind me, and trying to recover from childhood neglect and CSA issues; I now see that all the judgment I had was actually of myself. All the horrendous things I thought of myself - they were not things that others thought of me - they were assumptions I made about what they must be thinking of me. the truth is, I have no idea what they're thinking. And yet I judge them for thinking bad things about me.

It was all in my head. Well, most of it anyways. If someone *is* judging me, it's not about me, it's about them. As they judge, so shall they be judged.

My 2 cents.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#460683 - 02/14/14 12:13 AM Re: Judgement [Re: timetorecover]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
as you said, timetorecover, we have to have judgements.
without it, we could never make a decision or choice,
and that unending uncertainty and infinite indecision would lead to zero actions and no production.
our lives would stand still without the skill to judge.

i work best with deadlines and schedules and budgets.
this forces me to make a judgement based on the best available information.
otherwise i would be forever deliberating and debating.
when a decision is required by deadline...
i always do the right thing, based on the best data, then be prepared to be proven wrong by better data.

at which point my motto is...
adapt, evolve, mutate, or die.

For now we see through a glass, darkly;
but then face to face: now I know in part;
but then shall I know even as also I am known.

1 Corinthians 13:12

as far as being judged... i remember being terrified that someone would find out what happened, i was worried that they would think i was gay (social suicide in my suburban surrey street surroundings),
or that it was my fault, or that they would think i was tainted or stained and would reject me as damaged goods.
i did what i could to hide my history.
once it all came out anyway, i learned to accept the rejection,
and to reject the rejectors. good riddance.
false friends fell away from me.
i also met a whole new superior class of people that did not reject me,
but also did not blindly accept any negative attitudes and behaviours and baggage causing bad habits.
people whose judgement i have learned to trust over time.
in the end, my life became better, because i was able to weed out the judgementally retarded.

War
Love
Poetry

#460703 - 02/14/14 06:26 AM Re: Judgement [Re: timetorecover]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
We all judge things, situations, people. Beware of misquoted bible passages.

It is great you are able to make observations and decisions. Owning them!

I think the PC movement stating everything is right and ok fosters the anti judgement foolishness.

The NAMBLA predators like to misquote the judgement verse. They are pedophiles!

#460731 - 02/14/14 02:43 PM Re: Judgement [Re: timetorecover]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
ttc- I appreciate your comments on judgement. It seems 'most individuals spend quite a bit of time in the judgment of their fellows. It is an effort on their part to become superior, to keep the one being judged in their place, to remain morally or socially or spiritually on a seemingly higher ground. We all do in fact judge others, although it is not our place to do so in the general sense.

Generally speaking, and I do mean generally speaking, if someone's spiritual absolute is different than mine, so be it. If I meet not their expectations, so be it. They are free to judge me. Do rest assured, I shall judge them based on my own beliefs and interactions with them. So it definitely is a two way street.

Judgement has been around since civilization began… even before. With respect, it has nothing to do with "political correctness". And OTF… in this discussion of an honest concern about the fear of being judged, which most of us as victims and survivors of sexual abuse deal with almost daily, I am confused as to why you would allude to Magellan as misquoting a verse from the Bible and even more confused why you might desire to include NAMBLA as a reference for justifying your judgement in general. You have just confused me is all, but for some reason it has struck an odd chord (which means, I just noticed it).

#460785 - 02/15/14 10:07 AM Re: Judgement [Re: timetorecover]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
I have experienced a bit of prejudice against people of faith. There is a strong anti judeo Christian current in many popular liberal teachings.

Lots of people misquote and misconstrue the Judgement verse.

And yes, the pedophile group NAMBLA does indeed use that twisted version of the verse in justification of their perversion.

Judgements that have hit me the hardest we the ones where I accepted and internalized the macho social constructs of what a man is. The strong silent type. Never hurt or abused. Always in control.

Those were the things when I judged myself, and as a CSA victim I was failing on all counts. .. Inthinknthat is where we honestly have to look at judgement.sure we judge others and situations, but how we feel about ourselves is where it is most important.

I appreciate your comments. I do have a dry scientific at times way of thinking. I suspect it is a way of external using and distancing myself from personal pains. A coping mechanism of sorts.

No harm intended.

#460810 - 02/15/14 05:15 PM Re: Judgement [Re: On The Fringe]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
Originally Posted By: On The Fringe
I have experienced a bit of prejudice against people of faith. There is a strong anti judeo Christian current in many popular liberal teachings.

Lots of people misquote and misconstrue the Judgement verse.

Judgements that have hit me the hardest we the ones where I accepted and internalized the macho social constructs of what a man is. The strong silent type. Never hurt or abused. Always in control.

Those were the things when I judged myself, and as a CSA victim I was failing on all counts. .. Inthinknthat is where we honestly have to look at judgement.sure we judge others and situations, but how we feel about ourselves is where it is most important.

I appreciate your comments. I do have a dry scientific at times way of thinking. I suspect it is a way of external using and distancing myself from personal pains. A coping mechanism of sorts.

No harm intended.

me, too!

War
Love
Poetry

#460861 - 02/16/14 01:07 PM Re: Judgement [Re: timetorecover]
timetorecover Offline

Loc: Mi
Thanks for your responses and additional thoughts. This judgement thing has been there all my life...since the begininng of the abuse during puberty....and as grew into adulthood it became a problem. Now I am fifty something and i notice it still controls me at times...otherwise it is sitting dormant and waiting to come out again (so to speak)....So I have work to do. With group and individual therapy and books and the male survivor things I hope to attain healing of these crazy things in my mind. I even hope to do a survivors weekend later this year. So again thanks for taking the time to respond...every little bit brings healing

#461058 - 02/18/14 11:45 PM Re: Judgement [Re: On The Fringe]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Originally Posted By: On The Fringe

Not in the US? What non-Christian countries do you refer, where did you experience this?

What “popular liberal teachings” are anti-Christian?

tia

Chris

T. Paine

#461086 - 02/19/14 01:06 PM Re: Judgement [Re: timetorecover]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
Post removed for Moderator review

Edited by ModTeam (02/19/14 01:50 PM)
Edit Reason: Mod Team edit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.