Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
5 registered (lapchinj, 4 invisible), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63172 Topics
441743 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#451580 - 10/28/13 02:24 PM Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO

** Possible Triggers **

The article is linked here.

Penn State will pay $59.7 million to 26 sexual abuse victims of former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky, the school said Monday.

The terms of the settlements include confidentiality agreements, the school said in a press release. Of the 26 settlements, 23 are signed and three are agreed in principle, with final documentation expected within the next few weeks.

"The Board of Trustees has had as one of its primary objectives to reach settlements in a way that is fair and respects the privacy of the individuals involved," Keith Masser, chair of the Board of Trustees, said in a statement. "This is another important milestone in accomplishing that goal."

University President Rodney Erickson called the agreements "another step forward in the healing process for those hurt by Mr. Sandusky, and another step forward for Penn State."

The settlements won't be funded by student tuition, taxpayer funds or donations, the university said. Expenses not covered by insurance are expected to be funded from interest revenues related to loans made by the school.

Penn State has rejected some of the six remaining claims as being without merit and has engaged others in possible settlement discussions. Penn State has spent more than $50 million on other costs related to the Sandusky scandal, including lawyers' fees, public relations expenses, and adoption of new policies and procedures related to children and sexual abuse complaints.

The abuse scandal rocked the university and the state. Paterno, the school's iconic head coach, was fired shortly after Sandusky was charged in 2011. Paterno died in January 2012, not long after being diagnosed with lung cancer.

Sandusky, 69, was convicted in June 2012 of 45 criminal counts after eight young men testified against him. They told how Sandusky would shower with them, grope them, even have oral and anal sex with them. Sandusky, 69, has vigorously denied wrongdoing. He has been pursuing appeals while serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence.

In July, a Pennsylvania judge ordered three former Penn State officials, including ousted former president Graham Spanier, to stand trial on criminal charges related to an alleged cover-up that temporarily shielded Sandusky from law enforcement scrutiny.

A Pennsylvania judge ordered Spanier, former athletic director Tim Curley and former university vice president Gary Schultz to face charges including perjury, conspiracy and failure to report suspected child abuse.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#451583 - 10/28/13 02:52 PM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: FormerTexan]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: FormerTexan

A Pennsylvania judge ordered Spanier, former athletic director Tim Curley and former university vice president Gary Schultz to face charges including perjury, conspiracy and failure to report suspected child abuse.

Sad, even after it all starts to come out, is this saying these guys still tried to look the other way? Guess we gotta protect that athletic program.

#451586 - 10/28/13 03:18 PM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: FormerTexan]
Bluedogone Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast US
Quote:
"This is another important milestone in accomplishing that goal."

University President Rodney Erickson called the agreements "another step forward in the healing process for those hurt by Mr. Sandusky, and another step forward for Penn State."

Right!! Exactly how much is it worth to a young man to give up his normal healthy happy childhood in exchange for some cash. And a winning football season. Another step forward in the healing process? Give me a break.

Excuse me if I don't join the pat on back, self congratulatory, high-five celebration.

#451683 - 10/29/13 09:54 AM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: FormerTexan]
tshodson Offline

Here is the article from the Chronicle of Higher Education.
http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/penn-s...p;utm_medium=en

#459967 - 02/01/14 09:40 PM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: tshodson]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

OMAHA

That was recently called out on a football field by a famous football player.

Did someone pay him to call that out? Are they trying to change the public conception of Omaha?

Omaha is the city of the wealthiest person!

Omaha is notorious from the standpoint of child abuse.

The matter is fully reported in 2 books and elsewhere:

The Franklin Cover-up: Child Abuse, Satanism and Murder in Nebraska, by John W. DeCamp.

http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Cover-up-Satanism-Murder-Nebraska/dp/0963215809/

The Franklin Scandal: A Story of Powerbrokers, Child Abuse and Betrayal by Nick Bryant

http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Scandal-Story-Powerbrokers-Betrayal/dp/1936296071/

As far as I know, the matters discussed in these books are mostly still unresolved. They also extend to larger cities on the East Coast.

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/ring.htm

I don't think we should say OMAHA proudly.

Puffer

#459992 - 02/02/14 10:37 AM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: FormerTexan]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Paying them for confidentiality from insurance money is not a "win" for survivors but fir those who cover up abuse.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#460095 - 02/04/14 03:35 AM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: FormerTexan]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Are you talking about this, Puffer?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/pa...n_mannings.html

I don't think he means anything by it. I would bet he isn't even aware of the Franklin scandal. Most people aren't. There's no public perception of Omaha as an evil place, so no one has to pay anyone to change it. A lot of horrible things have happened in just about every city that's been around long enough. Sadly enough, many major cities (San Francisco, New York, London, Paris, Rome, Athens) have taken their turn throughout the centuries as a hub of sex slavery. That's not to diminish the horribleness of it, but a city is more than just one event. Every city deserves a chance to not be defined by its most evil citizens. Waco, Texas has a lot of nice people in it, but because of David Koresh other people still tense up when someone mentions the place. Anyway, no reason to think Manning is connected to or aware of any of Omaha's potential darker side.

Edited by Jacob S (02/04/14 03:36 AM)
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#460240 - 02/06/14 10:39 PM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: Jacob S]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you.

That's why I didn't mention the name of the person who called "Omaha". I'm sure he's not connected with the reference to that city. It's just that, why would he utter a call which obviously had variable meanings (as he stated in the video you sited). In other words the true meaning of his call Omaha was hidden. No successful quarterback would utter indistinct calls without a meaning. That made me wonder, well, why was he doing that? Perhaps somebody outside of the realm of football had asked him to do it... maybe for money? Did I hear that someone was donating a sum to orphaned children for every utterance of the word Omaha? Maybe it was to redefine the meaning of "Omaha" in the listener's mind. When I think of Omaha, I think of the references I made in my post. I wondered if they were trying to launder the reputation of that city.

Puffer

#460253 - 02/07/14 01:50 AM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: FormerTexan]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

I worry about you sometimes, Puffer. I say this in love, not flippantly. Seeing a shadow every where you look can really get a person down. There are a lot of sick villains in the world, but there are also a lot of good people. In my own life, when I assume the worst about people it sours my own attitude and drags me down and just makes getting up in the morning that much harder. I try to take people at their word until they give me good reason not to. If two people contradict, I try to believe both people have a valid perspective unless that is untenable. I apply that to people I know but also people I read about.

I have a paranoid side to me. If I'm not careful, I find it real easy to assign nefarious motives to everyone I know and everything I see. But what good does that do me? I'll never really know their inner heart, and all it does is give me more things to worry about. I don't put my head in the sand if there is good evidence for something, but the path of "what if..." never ends and yet never goes any where. All it does is add unnecessary stress and suspicion to an already stressful existence. At least that is how it is for me.

Edited by Jacob S (02/07/14 01:51 AM)
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#460303 - 02/08/14 01:24 AM Re: Penn State to pay $59.7M to 26 Sandusky victims [Re: Jacob S]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

When I was a little kid, I was very trusting. I can't understand what might have turned me from my trusting nature.

Puffer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.