Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
4 registered (Banjo596, Bardo, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63646 Topics
444506 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#460012 - 02/02/14 06:05 PM Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment.
justplainme Offline

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2014/erasing-traumatic-memories-0116.html

Have not read it all, but here is the link..

Erasing traumatic memories
New study identifies drug that could improve treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2014/erasing-traumatic-memories-0116.html

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#460016 - 02/02/14 08:04 PM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: justplainme]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Thank you for posting this!

I had PTSD that became real bad about 2 years ago, but with a daily dose of 40mg of celexa and therapy (combination of group and personal cognitive therapy), my symptoms have been greatly reduced and my quality of life has changed dramatically. I think such treatments may be quite beneficial during the early stages of trauma recovery! ^^

#460030 - 02/03/14 01:32 AM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

Is celexa expensive?

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#460109 - 02/04/14 12:00 PM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: justplainme]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
the body needs to return to homeostasis in its own time and way.
we know how to heal ourselves.
i am personally suspicious of any drug which claims to do the work for us.

but there is another approach that also helps the body return to balance after trauma. actually there are many. in my experience, the amazon jungle brew ayahuasca is very well suited to this, because it helps the person deal with the difficult traumatic experiences at a very deep, cellular level, integrating the memories instead of just masking or inhibiting them. it comes from the wisdom of nature.

it takes work though. my experience with ayahuasca has been a gut wrenching spiritual purging done in the context of healing ceremony... something which goes so deep and demands a lot of work from participants. not a drug but a key from the plant kingdom, not some human engineered substance designed to mask or erase or trick the body circuitry... something with the wisdom of nature and indigenous cultures behind it. it has helped me a lot to move forward through the pain of my traumatic past, by integrating the difficult experiences... can be scary as hell though, not an easy path.

and for anyone considering going that route, please be aware its an unregulated market both in the US and abroad, there are bad practitioners, and also ayahuasca DOES NOT MIX with certain western medication. i recommend using careful judgement and caution with this approach. ** AND CERTAINLY WITH ANY WESTERN DRUG AS WELL **

i hope everyone finds an approach that works for them.

Edited by risingagain (02/04/14 12:12 PM)

#460113 - 02/04/14 01:16 PM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: risingagain]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Everyone heals differently. Some need medication, others various forms of therapy for trauma. I echo the sentiments that each must pursue what works best for them. There are many still struggling to find the right path--so any new discovery or approach is welcomed if it can bring health to those suffering.

I believe as time passes, the intricacies of trauma will be unraveled and the effects it has on the victims from addictions, dissociation, compulsions to even more extreme outcomes. MIT study and the work of The Trauma Center by Bessel van der Kolk in Boston. It may help others understand our suffering, memories, dissociation, addictions have a root in our mind as a result of the abuse.

Thank you for sharing this information on MIT. I am all for unraveling the impact the abuse has on the mind and for treatments to help those who have suffered.

#460121 - 02/04/14 09:10 PM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: justplainme]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: justplainme
Is celexa expensive?

Not sure, in both countries I live in, Germany and Canada, I don't need to pay for my prescription medication. Are you in the United States? Are you insured?

#460125 - 02/04/14 09:26 PM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: justplainme]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
It was a mouse study not exactly a higher intelligence, pigs would have made better subjects as they are both smarter and share much more in common with us then a rodent; nothing against rodents just their rodents. It seems as though this is like one of these designer drugs where the drug is designed around an established cellular/inter/intra-cellular mechanism sounds to me like more drug company bs; I mean profits?

Iíll echo risingagianís take that there is no easy way out of these states, PTSD whatever. However I canít agree about the use of other drugs to help you overcome psychic obstacles. In my youth I took a lot of drugs, LSD peyote, mesc, you name it I tried it nothing; FF to spring of 2011 and a whole different thing timing is everything, heck I wasnít even looking for it, and truth be told I consumed a brew of chemicals that culminated with my ďrememberingĒ. Please understand Iím neither religious or a man of faith, I only believe in what I can see what I can experience, so I have zero inclination to suppose that anything other than chemistry released me from myself. There was another member here who mentioned ibogaine; he hasnít been seen since; Iíd really like to know what his experience was like and more importantly if it helped.

The thing that major psychotropics do is they force you to confront yourself, you canít hide, you canít run from yourself, no missing appointments, no missed doses, just you against yourself, a you, you donít know or recognize itís what leads me to believe that everyone is the same now as the day they were born and youíll be just the same when you die. Bob Wilson has some interesting anecdotes from the 60ís on LSD use and people whose lives changed dramatically. Itís also why I could never be a part of any ďceremonyĒ where any large quantities of psychotropics were imbibed; I canít trust my wife let alone when Iím in that state. Its why use of psychotropics by therapists is akin to ďbrain-washingĒ and definitely best left to the government.

Natural drugs are not an easy way to help yourself and in my limited experience man-made chemicals are exactly that man-made realities, realities that have as much to do with being human as a modern MD has with real healing.

Also understand I do not condone any drug usage but coffee and mj; just my 2Ę.

Timing is everything; remember ďBeing ThereĒ; didnít Ringo Star sayĒit donít come easyĒ

Chris

T. Paine

#460138 - 02/05/14 12:56 AM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: justplainme]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: justplainme
Is celexa expensive?

I've been on Celexa (also called Citalopram ) for years. The copay is very low for most insurance companies, so its gotta be on the cheaper side of things. I have no idea what that translates to if you don't have any insurance at all though. Celexa has been around since 1989 so all the patents and everything have run out, and that helps lower the cost.
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

#460185 - 02/05/14 03:18 PM Re: Erasing traumatic memories : PTSD Drug treatment. [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

Nop not insured , i live in Central America! Hah! All this talk about acid and drugs is making want to go to a rave hahaha, i agree about the body being the best physician but sometimes medicine does help. I would try peyote and other substances but only with an appropriate ritual elder!
Cheers guys! Enjoy your week!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.