Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 47 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63114 Topics
441375 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#459455 - 01/26/14 05:53 PM Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation.
justplainme Offline

Here is a extensive PDF book on how amnesia serves as a adaptation method for survival, i for one suffered from it,so i have found myself researching the subject more and more, i had amnesia for about 20 years till i finally had the flashbacks and onset memories.

Hope you all find the material helpful!

Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as an adaptive responsive to childhood abuse. By Jennifer J. Freyd , Oregon University

Pdf file

Edited by justplainme (01/26/14 05:54 PM)

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#459464 - 01/26/14 07:40 PM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: justplainme]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Link is not valid.

#459466 - 01/26/14 08:07 PM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#459470 - 01/26/14 09:02 PM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: justplainme]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Thank you. Great report.

#459474 - 01/26/14 09:45 PM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

My pleasure to chip in mate.

#459476 - 01/26/14 10:24 PM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: justplainme]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Thank you for this reference.

Interestingly, my amnesia lapsed the same year as 2 of the studies cited in the reference (1986).

I have always been under the impression that the abuse and torture was so bad in my case that the amnesia functioned to keep me alive. As a child I don't think I would have been able to face what happened. Even as an adult it was very difficult. I had a reaction called an "abreaction" when I remembered it. That is, the memories were so strong that I actually saw and heard them happening in addition to the emotion and feelings which ensued.

The books I have read about CIA's cultivation of torture and abuse to propagate MKUltra survivors, mention that they were actually looking for ways to guarantee that the subjects would experience amnesia. They (we) were not supposed to consciously remember what happened. They considered LSD as an alternative method to induce amnesia. This is possibly why I was given LSD on the last day of abusive course. They used electric shock and other drugs to induce amnesia in others. DID was cultivated and also used as an adjunct to use of drugs and electro-shock.

Puffer

References:

The C.I.A. Doctors, by Colin A. Ross, M.D. Published by Manitou Communications, Inc. Chap. II Discusses use of deliberate creation of amnesia.

Monarch: The New Phoenix Program, by Marshall G. Thomas, Published by iUniverse, Inc. Pages 34 - 36 discuss the administration of LSD to American children in mind control experiments.

A Question of Torture: CIA Interrogation from the Cold War to the War on Terror, by Alfred W. McCoy. Published by Metropolitan Books.
Originally Posted By: McCoy, page 29

...pumped hallucinogens into children at summer camp,...

Originally Posted By: McCoy, page 35

June 1951...even short-term deprivation produced a devastating impact on the human psyche....After just two to three days in his isolating "black box" ...the subject's very identity began to deteriorate...

Edited by pufferfish (01/27/14 12:25 AM)

#459481 - 01/27/14 12:14 AM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

Amazing, i still find it puzzling the mind what it chooses to remember and what to forget and in my opinion none ever goes away it just goes on being replicated in the mind, that is why i find buddhism and meditation a very helpful tool, the person i was after the Abreaction occurred as you mentioned is the real me, the past person was a sort of fail safe personality. I will check out both books man, thanks for the post..!

#459482 - 01/27/14 12:26 AM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: pufferfish]
toddop Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
justplainme,

Thanks so much for sharing this link about traumatic amnesia. I am like you in that I completely suppressed all of my memories about my abuse for a little over 20 years.

My T says that I have what is now called dissociative amnesia, which I assume has its roots in traumatic amnesia. I thought this article was fascinating because it really walks through the process and rationale for forgetting. I survived two rounds of CSA, one by my biological father, and one later by a coach.

In many ways the effects of the abuse were compounded, meaning that I reacted to the secondary abuse perpetrated by my coach through the filter of having been abused by my father. This created many associations and beliefs about the fundamental idea of safety and who I could trust in the world. I created a lot of mental structures around my relationships and feelings about men because of that betrayal that I am now just starting to untangle and iron out.

This article really helps in my mind to understand the psychological motivation for forgetting. It was essential to survival and I needed to forget in order to survive. I have always felt that this was true on a purely intuitive level. But reading this article, I can make sense of why I did it. And when I was done reading it, I felt more hopeful and encouraged in my efforts to understand the little boy that I was and how I became the man that I am. It made me even more amazed at my younger self's efforts to survive through the severity of what he suffered. So, thanks again for sharing. It was a powerful read for me.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
-Albert Einstein

#459483 - 01/27/14 12:37 AM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: justplainme]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
You're welcome.

I've added a 3rd book.

My story is located at (Don't read it unless you are feeling strong. It is very strong stuff.):
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...9028#Post219028

There are additional books by actual survivors of MKUltra. The first 2 that I read were:

Carol Rutz: A Nation Betrayed
http://www.amazon.com/Nation-Betrayed-Experiments-Performed-Annotated-ebook/dp/B005IDOXL6/

Secret Weapons: Two Sisters’ Terrifying True Story of Sex, Spies and Sabotage, by Cheryl Hersha and Lynn Hersha.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Weapons-Sisters%C2%92-Terrifying-Sabotage-ebook/dp/B00BSEQMXG/

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (01/27/14 12:42 AM)

#459484 - 01/27/14 12:40 AM Re: Betrayal trauma : Traumatic amnesia as adaptation. [Re: toddop]
justplainme Offline

Happy to know i helped in someway!
Thanks for the other links PufferFish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.