Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
4 registered (mike1965, 3 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63109 Topics
441332 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#458850 - 01/17/14 10:54 PM My Little Urban Garden
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
A little over two years ago, I took a job with a company that maintains indoor plants. If you work in an office building that has plants, you know the guys who come with watering cans and a belt full of pruning shears to take care of the plants in your building? Ok, I'm one of those idiots.

When I took the job, I knew nothing about plants. They just trained me for eight weeks, then cut me loose on my assigned accounts. Most of the plants I do are in offices or lobbies but I do have a couple of indoor gardens I maintain. The first two pics below are of the one I'm most proud of. I've been maintaining it all by myself since I started.

When they first handed this little garden over to me I thought, "Holy fuck, what am I going to do? I am going to kill all of these plants! I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing!" Two years later, with mostly all the same plants, this is how the garden looks.....

This one I've only been on for about five or six months. It get's shit for light, but I'm doing the best I can with it.

You can't see them but there are two Sansevierias, (snake plants), that are directly under the stairs which are nearly dead in this photo. (Not the one you see in the back-right corner of the garden). I have them written up for replacement but there is no hope for the new ones either. I don't know who designed this garden and came up with the visionary idea of placing live plants under a stairwell but, whoever they were, they obviously knew more about interior design then they did about plants.

I don't maintain these amazing bamboo palms but I did have a hand in installing them. These particular plants sit in the lobby of one of the most prominent buildings in Midtown Atlanta. I can't call these my babies or anything, I'm just posting them because I once laid my hands on them and they look fucking cool.

So, that's some of what I do for my shitty, monotonous, soul-sucking job. But, at least I have little something to be proud of, right? I guess. Peace,

Ken

Edited by BraveFalcon (01/17/14 10:57 PM)

#458857 - 01/17/14 11:37 PM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: BraveFalcon]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Thanks for sharing Ken.

Gardening in its many forms is therapeutic since you get to create something and maintain it. It's a way to exert control over something when control is otherwise in short supply. I like it.

Will

PS---is that either the "king" or "queen" building there in the background of the first picture?

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#458860 - 01/17/14 11:47 PM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

It's the "Queen". I don't have any accounts in there but I do have one on the 20th floor of the "King", just off camera to the right. cool

Ken

#458939 - 01/19/14 11:08 AM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: BraveFalcon]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I knew it!!

I knows me some buildings! Since I'm an architecture nerd, I remember watching a lot of these being built.

One of my favorites is One Atlantic Center/IBM Building in Midtown. Neo-classic.

My first job was in the 1100 Peachtree Building. Now, it's all but covered up by the new construction.

Thanks again for sharing.

Will

PS, I always heard that the designer of the Concourse buildings hated the "king" and "queen" label. They do kind of look like chess pieces...

Ruins of a past unknown-

#458953 - 01/19/14 07:09 PM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Suwanee

When I was in 8th grade, we went on a field trip to this building and I got to go to the top floor. At the time, it was the tallest building in Atlanta. (It isn't anymore.) Back then, the top floor was totally empty. There were no offices up there or anything. The space was reserved for events and parties and whatnot. I don't know if that's still the case.

The last pic I posted, (the bamboo palms), is in a building that is only two blocks down the street from this building. This building here....

If you're ever headed down 14th street and you're passing this building, you can easily see the bamboo palms in the lobby from the road. smile Peace,

Ken

#459128 - 01/21/14 11:19 PM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: BraveFalcon]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Ken-

This is just great. You do a super job and I am crazy about indoor gardens. You can stop guessing; you are doing a tremendous job creating beauty for the rest of Atlanta.

And ever since I have been a little boy out in the country, I have dreamed of skyscrapers and cities. Suwanee, you made my night when I got to see the buildings you posted. This is just great, guys. Thanks.

#459370 - 01/25/14 08:44 AM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: BraveFalcon]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Bill,

Here's one more skyscraper pic---well, pretty much all of Atlanta except for Buckhead. Buckhead has its own skyline of tall buildings---8 miles north of Downtown.

That's Midtown of the left---moving right takes you south along Peachtree Street toward "downtown" at Five Points/Zero Mile Marker. On the far right is the soon-to-be-condemned Georgia Dome. The tall building in the center is the Bank of America building---Atlanta's tallest. It is near North Avenue---the traditional dividing line between Midtown and Downtown. Can you tell I love this stuff?

Thanks, Ken for mentioning your urban gardens! They look great.

Will

Ruins of a past unknown-

#459385 - 01/25/14 05:42 PM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Suwanee

I'll bet that was taken from Kennesaw Mountain.

Yeah, we kind of have two separate skylines here. The Downtown-Midtown skyline and the Buckhead skyline, which kind of looks like as separate, smaller city a few miles to the north, but it's all the same city. In fact, we kind of have four skylines if you count the skylines of Sandy Springs-Dunwoody to the north of Buckhead and Marietta-Vinings to the Northwest.

This one was probably taken from a plane or chopper, from the southwest side of town, looking northeast. It isn't a great pic but I like it because you can pretty much see the entirety of the city, including Buckhead stretching out to the distance. I actually have this set as the cover photo on my FB page.

Downtown-Midtown Skyline from the North, looking south.

The Buckhead skyline from the north. You can see the Downtown-Midtown skyline in the distance off the the south. (Yes, it's all the same city).

The Sandy Springs-Dunwoody skyline, several miles to the north of Buckhead. (I do the plants in quite a few of those buildings. :))

The Marietta-Vinings Skyline, several miles to the Northeast of Buckhead. (I know, talk about urban sprawl, right?)

#459386 - 01/25/14 05:51 PM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: BraveFalcon]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Just for fun, here's a couple of pics from the 20th floor of the King Tower. (Yes, where I water plants.) grin

The top of the Queen Tower next door, the bottom of which can also be seen from across the street in one of my urban garden photos.

A view of Buckhead to the south...

#459732 - 01/29/14 10:14 PM Re: My Little Urban Garden [Re: BraveFalcon]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
I love looking at the photos! The parents of my d-n-l live in Marietta, and I've gone several times to the big antique market south of Atlanta, somewhere down Jonesboro Rd, I think. I am wanting to go to the High (did I spell that correctly?), and will one day soon. I hear the exhibits are superb. I have even made it to the October festival in Piedmont Park-by myself, which was an accomplishment and I only became lost and wandered in that part of town for maybe two hours or so before I relocated my carů I don't remember which area of town the park is located in. Being either totally oblivious to my surroundings or being left-handed, I don't know which, I maneuver by sight only and remember less. It's crazy. So thanks again guys for the images. Oh, I even have been to your IKEA in the north part of town and that great neighborhood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.