Newest Members
JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul
12488 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12488 Members
74 Forums
64154 Topics
447641 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#458900 - 01/18/14 05:11 PM anxiety attack
HopeDiesLast Offline

Some nights I think I can't make it through therapy. Ever since I started the abyss is just so damn close. Got triggered badly today. Not sure how I'll sleep or get through tomorrow. This sucks so bad.

#458907 - 01/18/14 08:03 PM Re: anxiety attack [Re: HopeDiesLast]
gettingstronger Offline

Loc: Virginia
Hi HDL,

In my own experience, the days that are the roughest to get through end up producing the best results. They hurt like hell, but then the upshots-- more peace, more understanding, pieces of the puzzle falling together-- become apparent in a way that wouldn't have happened without the ugly stuff. Kudos to you for engaging in the process like this!

That being said, just go easy on yourself and take it one gentle, deep breath at a time. Forget about today and tomorrow; today is over with and tomorrow will take care of itself. One deep breath at a time. That's all.

I also like to practice something called "emotional transfusion" when I'm in a panic situation like that. I lie down, calm my mind by focusing on my breathing, and very gently drop into a meditative state. Then I think about the last really positive thing I experienced recently, along with the feelings associated with it. That could be a good job review, a compliment from someone, or anything that made me feel good. I allow that to fill my mind and concentrate on how good it feels.

Learning how to get into this meditative state is easier than it sounds. Lie down, focus on your breathing, gently try to send your thoughts (good or bad) out with each out-breath, and just focus on your breathing. Keep it up until you feel your heartbeat slowing, your breathing becoming naturally slower, and your mind calming down. Once you practice this a few times, getting there is easy.

For me, this stops the anxiety dead in its tracks and also takes care of any depression I might be experiencing. It sounds simplistic, but it works. Take care.

Bob

Edited by gettingstronger (01/18/14 08:20 PM)
Edit Reason: additional information

#458912 - 01/18/14 08:42 PM Re: anxiety attack [Re: HopeDiesLast]
pittsburgh Offline

Loc: west Chester, Pa
I Sooo understand where you are at. I left some therapy over the top. However I have survived to move on, just had to continue to move forward. Staying where I was at just was not an in the picture. I refused to not move forward. Was sick of the feelings I had. So you see my anxiety level was over the top. I worked on this with my therapist on the subject. This helped, At night as I went to bed I would think of some thing in my life that were good. Would relive them moment by moment. This is similar to what Gettingstronger is saying. Stay with it Brother things can and will get better with effort and work at it. All my best.
it is and has been quite a trip thru life, as last I feel that I am in a better place, it takes work and in my case a wife the was and is forgiveing and helpful. At last a relationship has gone right, messed up three.

#458916 - 01/18/14 09:39 PM Re: anxiety attack [Re: HopeDiesLast]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hey man
Just hang in there. when I first started in therapy those days were weeks long. It seemed that I only got calmed down in time to arrive the next week, but it did get better. most times now there is just the words playing back to me and things are manageable. I hope that time comes soon for you. My T suggested that I try an anti anxiety med which I reluctantly did and I do find it helpful though it is still a challenge to take it preemptively
it does get better man
Jeff

#458932 - 01/19/14 05:09 AM Re: anxiety attack [Re: HopeDiesLast]
HopeDiesLast Offline

Thank you everyone. I tried to do what my T told me: go into the feelings instead of trying to push them away. I can tell you that it was not a restful night. But I feel somewhat better now. I will try out to get to good feelings during an anxiety attack. Not sure how to do that, though, it's as if the rest of the world doesn't exist anymore in those moments.

#458933 - 01/19/14 08:27 AM Re: anxiety attack [Re: HopeDiesLast]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
the dissociative feelings are not uncommon during those times of intense anxiety my friend and though it is terrifying trying to remain grounded it the best defense. if we can stay in the now and remember that they cannot hurt us now. I hope it gets better for you soon man
Jeff

#459064 - 01/21/14 02:56 AM Re: anxiety attack [Re: HopeDiesLast]
HopeDiesLast Offline

a question about meditation. so I went to meditation class yesterday. It's only the second time in my life that I've tried meditation. The first time was in a buddhist temple in South-East Asia. I started sobbing uncontrollably and the buddhist monks thought it was great and I had potential and should stay at a temple for a few months, while I thought it was terribly frightening and wanted to run. Now, yesterday was a lot less intense. But I still felt this wave of sadness overcome me. And now I wonder whether that's normal or just something weird that is happening for me?

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.