Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, philistine, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63359 Topics
443049 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#458405 - 01/10/14 09:36 AM What will you choose
Lenny Offline

Loc: Kansas
In every moment of our lives we have the freedom to choose what we want the moment to be about. Is it going to be about what we value and life giving or not?

#458411 - 01/10/14 11:18 AM Re: What will you choose [Re: Lenny]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I find the impulsive choice to react emotionally to a given situation for the most part is not whom I would choose to be after reflection. Recovery and the community here have supported a planned approach to triggers so that I thoughtfully process instead of "knee jerk" react. While I am not all the way through this, I have found success and comfort in exchanges where I calmly work through to resolution.

Thanks for the query Lenny,
Sam

#458413 - 01/10/14 11:50 AM Re: What will you choose [Re: Lenny]
Lenny Offline

Loc: Kansas
My comment is not in the context of "knee jerk" reactions/emotional filled choices. It's about being more aware of what is of value to us and taking the time to give thought to what we want and making the choice that will help us aspire to the life want to create.

For example, each morning of the work week I have the freedom to choose to go to work or not. By choosing not to go to work I am not making a choice that will help me create the life I want for me and my family.

#458443 - 01/10/14 11:49 PM Re: What will you choose [Re: Lenny]
Rich918 Offline

That's all well and good if your thought processes are fully intact; but when the amygdala shuts down all thought and reasoning resources, you're left stranded in a sea of pure confusion. One is overwhelmingly inclined to act in the very NOW that is. Not much freedom or choice there.

Being "masters of our own destiny" may sound good, but natural survival instincts say that it's simply not so.

#458455 - 01/11/14 07:24 AM Re: What will you choose [Re: Lenny]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think you guys both make great points. "Live Deliberately" is a motto of mine, but it is an ideal as much as it is a reality. It is something to strive toward. Learning to deal with anxiety and panic is a constant struggle for me, but it is a struggle that I have made real progress in. I am not in the same place that I was 5 years ago. So my biochemistry is always going to have something to say about what I do and what choices I make, but I can make deliberate choices to learn to deal with those limitations in ever improving ways. I've found mindfulness meditation combined with anti-anxiety medication to be useful in that. The medication makes the anxiety less overwhelming (though still quite a real factor) and the meditation helps me examine more clearly what I am feeling and where the boundaries of what I need to control really are.
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.