Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64156 Topics
447662 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#458085 - 01/06/14 10:07 AM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I'm surprised to see myself type the following:

If you are happy with who you are, it won't matter if you're "normal" or not. And incidentally, those who are unique and happy with themselves tend to be the most attractive people.

#458094 - 01/06/14 12:26 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
Max10 Offline

Loc: Oregon
What is normal? This is all I know therefore it must be normal.

~Max10~
~ I am not a victim...I am a survivor! ~

#458095 - 01/06/14 12:29 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: Magellan]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Originally Posted By: Magellan
If you are happy with who you are, it won't matter if you're "normal" or not. And incidentally, those who are unique and happy with themselves tend to be the most attractive people.

I'm surprised to read that from you, too, Magellan! And happy! i hope you are able to say that is a description of YOU!

"i am unique - just like everybody else." - i love the irony of this statement. we are all different - that is why it is so wonderful to find others who have points of similarity in thoughts, feelings and experiences.

i have always felt different. i used to feel bad about that. now i am beginning to accept and appreciate it.

LEE
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#458169 - 01/07/14 02:00 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
CafeMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Chicago
This is a good topic. I always wanted to be "normal" after my abuse and have strived for it. For me, I consider normal to be highly functioning, stable and doing things in my life where I am not paralyzed by fear.

I never wanted a normal, mundane life. Even before my abuse, I wanted an exciting life. Some men really getting into the role of husband and dad. Going to parent teacher conferences, working on the yard on the weekends, etc. That was never me.

I always wanted to grow and challenge myself. I liked hanging out at my favorite restaurants in Laguna and La Jolla, shopping in Montreal, taking a long walk on the beach in Maui, etc. I enjoyed being totally free to do what I want.

Do I want to get married . . . one day. But I don't want to be stifled doing traditional life procedures. I enjoy the spontaneity of doing what I want. So, I feel normal in my head, but I don't like to do traditional activities of a suburban man. I'm having too much fun right now. And it will only get better and better.

#458172 - 01/07/14 02:58 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
There are a lot of suburban men who do both " traditional" and unconventional activities and hobbies, who have lots of fun and lead an adventurous life... It isn't a prison sentence, but a decision... One that shouldn't be taken lightly or without thought.

There are also many childless couples/ families with children who happily live an unconventional lifestyle... it's more about finding a " mate" with the same feelings and goals about life and the future.

One of the reasons labels and stereotypes suck, people believe them.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#458180 - 01/07/14 04:11 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
CafeMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's not the point to my post. There is nothing wrong with that role. That's just not me. I respect whatever role we have in our lives as long as we are happy and healing.

#458183 - 01/07/14 04:33 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
I'm challenging the connotation of a " normal" suburban existence.

Exactly what the post is about, being " normal", whatever being normal actually means in that context. I get normal, temperature wise, humans 98.6 degrees... but I can't get, " normal" in the context of activities and such.

Maybe we as a people should do Less labeling, and more living. Families should worry more about emotional well-being of a person rather than if they are/get married and providing grandchildren. Not everybody wants to be married or be responsible to raising children, all of which is very acceptable.

I agree we should all be free and comfortable enough with ourselves so that we can be highly functioning, stable members of society who shouldn't be paralyzed by fear.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#458193 - 01/07/14 05:27 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
CafeMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, and that last sentence in your last post is what matters. What's in our heads, not roles.

#458209 - 01/07/14 07:48 PM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: where the shadows lie
well, sometimes I gotta say: screw "society." I don't really care if I'm a member of "society" or not. But the rest of what you two are saying sounds right.

#458219 - 01/08/14 01:49 AM Re: Living a normal life [Re: blockade]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
I find normal generally means conforming to some group identity and group values and that never works for me. I can overlap tons of groups, but my experience is that if I want to participate there generally are unspoken group by-laws that are difficult for me to navigate.

So, where I'm at now is that my challenge is to grow a stronger ME, one that doesn't have a problem remaining grounded in strong winds. This seems important for me because it seems I am attracted to situations where I need to be strong in order to participate happily. Not easy for the little abused kid in me. I try to remain open to possibilities and do my best to grow. I do grow, but patience is difficult. I get destination oriented instead of journey oriented.

Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.