Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
6 registered (BobdaFarmer61, TJ jeff, kcinohio, JW1230, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63578 Topics
444187 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#457978 - 01/04/14 02:36 PM Non AA ways to get sober?
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
My brothers,

I'm ready to get sober again. I've been a pot head for a long time, and night time drinker (4-5 beers a night). I guess you can call me 'high functioning'. I'm employed and building a career and savings/retirement. I haven't suffered any consequences for my using (other than time and $ spent).

I know EXACTLY why I use - to kill the loneliness. I've worked for decades on trying to comprehend what happened to me. Part of that recovery lead me to MS, realizing that some things I already knew had a profound impact on me, which led to uncovering even more things that had me entranced in a world entirely confusing and frightening to me.

This past year I've made significant inroads into my recovery. Things that had never made sense in my life are starting to make sense.

I've done AA 2 times before, sober 2 and 2.5 years each time. I found the experience incredibly frustrating, and the 2nd time, the experience nearly drove me to suicide. I find the rooms abrasive, and the fellowship to be a faux fellowship.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has had any success getting sober without going through the AA /12 step route? Please share if you have.

The last thing I want to do is go back to AA only to be disgusted by the experience again. I went to an AA meeting a couple weeks ago out of curiosity (to see if I would respond differently) and had the same sense of disgust. Perhaps the program in San Francisco is tainted by the hyper sexuality (gay AA meetings are ... meat markets). And I don't have anything in common with straight AA meetings.

So - to those of you who want me to try AA again - I have. I've done it repeatedly. I'm looking for alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#457993 - 01/04/14 08:00 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

I answered my own question. I could have googled before asking here, but I figured I'd ask anyone who had experience.

smartrecovery.com. There's 3 meetings a week like 3 blocks from my home. I'm going to check it out starting Monday.

Wish me luck.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#457995 - 01/04/14 08:30 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
bey Offline

Loc: canada
Good luck with the meetings, I hope they meet your needs more than AA did. I was in and out of NA for years and finally had to just admit that the 12 step thing was not a good fit for me. I go to lifering meetings sometimes, i see an addictions councillor, its a better fit.

#458008 - 01/04/14 10:54 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Yeah there are alot of different programs for recovery available. There is no "one size fits all" in this business.

Just my opinion, but being comfortable with a program is not the most important yardstick for whether its working for a guy. I think the questions to be considering are A) Am I able to stay sober through this program; B) is this program helping me grow and change to become a better person; and C) Is this program helping me to bring serenity and peace to my life, regardless of the circumstances I'm facing.

If a guy can answer YES to all three questions, then I'd say they've got a good program in process.
But I won't back down.
Tom Petty

#458097 - 01/06/14 12:36 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
Good luck! Even AA does not claim to be the only game in town. I hope you find what works for you.

#458149 - 01/07/14 08:05 AM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
little big man Offline

Loc: nevada
4 or 5 beers a night? Alcoholics never tell how mch they really drink. Also are you looking for differances or similarities? A person can pick anything apart. Is the majority of the program good and you are looking for a reason to not belong?

#458160 - 01/07/14 12:03 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

LBM - I don't know what the intent of your post is.

But yes, I drink 4-5 beers a night, and I'm looking for alternatives to AA.

Thanks for the support, everyone!

#458162 - 01/07/14 12:09 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
little big man Offline

The intent was alot of people don't get into recovery or stay because they will pick it apart, find differences instead of similarites. I e find a way to not belong. And it is a known fact alcoholics never tell how much they really drink. If you are being honest then that is rare.

#458163 - 01/07/14 12:11 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
little big man Offline

As an addiction progresses more of the substance is used. It does not stay the same.

#458164 - 01/07/14 12:14 PM Re: Non AA ways to get sober? [Re: Magellan]
little big man Offline

DRA Dual recovery anonymous. For addiction and those with a mental diagnosis. Good program its own lit. But still twelve step.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.