Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
3 registered (don64, focusedbody, 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63218 Topics
442049 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#457908 - 01/03/14 01:15 PM On Writing and Revealing
PhoenixRising Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Richmond, Indiana
Writing has been a way for me to transform my story and my experiences, to take the messy tangle and turn it into something beautiful...so I wrote a play about men who had been sexually abused, a combination of my own story interwoven with other men's, and it has been performed several times..always with last minute internal conflict and a feeling of a betrayal on my part..telling stories (indeed the story is mine, and in no way do I include personal details about family members).
All this being said, my ultimate intention is that the play (and in that my life) be about redemption and reconciliation. As I look forward, my soul reminds me I need to continue with this project (and several others), because at the end of my life, not having written them will be my regret..
I still wrestle with making them even more public..and of course, so far, that has been limited, though I had one piece read off-broadway. Some days though, I am reminded that this play may also serve to connect to others who, like me at many times, feel isolated.
Any thoughts/ Advice? How does one speak out about this topic without challenging others, but rather that builds a bridge? How can I speak my truth? Sometimes I feel this project is just pulling me under and holding me back..why not just let it go, and move on?

#457915 - 01/03/14 05:49 PM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
north51 Offline

Loc: Ontario
Hey Phoenix Rising, I see what you mean. When I was in rehab at the end of November we had to keep a journal and it was very uplifting. However, with being alochol free since Nov 21 and dealing with my molestation that happended 42 years ago my head is having a difficult time. I've thought of writing a journal about it but am afraid it may keep me stuck where I don't want to me. Interesting problem, to write and hope for relief or continue to be stuck?

#458098 - 01/06/14 12:41 PM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
I have been sober a very long time now. I just peek into the dark closet on occasion. No real benefit to me to dwell on it. I have Leander and accepted it was not my fault and a child of 8 can't consent.

There is no value for me personally in wallowing in it. I did have to thrash around in it long enough to grasp I was not responsible for it happening.

I guess you keep it around long enough to deal with it. Or maybe if you are on a crusade of awareness for others, then it will be in your face all the time.

#458111 - 01/06/14 04:23 PM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
i think what you have done is excellent.
i admire your achievement.
i work in theatre and i know what goes into such a production.
i hope to work on your show, or perhaps attend a performance one day.
have you shopped the script in my area?
best wishes for success, and congratulations.

War
Love
Poetry

#458151 - 01/07/14 08:17 AM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
PhoenixRising Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks all. I have only done 2 performances of the play and both have had me as an actor. I modeled the play on Vagina Monologues, in that it can easily be taken and performed somewhere..with different men taking on the roles..It was difficult to be in the play and also overseeing it (and re-writing). That being said both times were profoundly healing as it gave me voice.
I get the wallowing bit. That being said, for me, I either befriend the experience by putting it to use, or I will always be afraid of it.
It has been performed in Philadelphia and Indiana. I am presently editing and revising while songs are being transcribed.

#458187 - 01/07/14 04:55 PM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
victor-victim Offline

so... Vancouver 2015?

War
Love
Poetry

#458251 - 01/08/14 04:49 PM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
PhoenixRising Offline
MaleSurvivor

Who knows? Working on NYC or Providence for this year with an updated score and additional script...

#458311 - 01/09/14 03:43 AM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
victor-victim Offline

let me know if you want any help in my area.
i could be willing.

War
Love
Poetry

#458351 - 01/09/14 04:01 PM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
PhoenixRising Offline
MaleSurvivor

Awesome. Thanks. I will keep you posted.

#459398 - 01/25/14 07:47 PM Re: On Writing and Revealing [Re: PhoenixRising]
jas4159 Offline

outstanding. well done and I would love to read your play if you ever publish it. I also found healing in writing. I wrote a
book about my life. it is a free read at justanothersurvivror.wordpress.com. it was the best thing i could have done. writing really helped a lot.
rich

rich

justanothersurvivror.wordpress.com

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.