Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
4 registered (dan_in_newengland, GummyBear, Scott1962, skyguy), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64171 Topics
447795 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#457724 - 12/31/13 09:44 PM Giving Voice....
Rich918 Offline

At my last therapist visit, we were discussing a recent flashback and the feelings it produced. When I tried to formulate a description of them, the words were just out of reach. I stared into space trying to concentrate but other feelings would arise to distract me away from it. “Over here... No, over there! No, down here! Here... no, here... over there!”

It was like a whole army of feelings was attacking me to shut me up from expressing it, and whatever words I might grasp to use would soon dissipate into confusion like swiftly being washed away in a violent torrent. It felt like someone was reaching their hands underneath my ribs and trying to pull me apart.

From my therapist's perspective, I was merely in thought, but under the surface, I was drowning in a river. Muscles tense and breathing heavily, I was trying to think, but my mind became too numb for words and overwhelmed in feelings.

#457742 - 01/01/14 06:21 AM Re: Giving Voice.... [Re: Rich918]
OCN Offline

Loc: Western Europe
Did you discuss the 'drowning in a river' with your therapist?

Perhaps its good to bring this up the next time you see her.

And concerning the anxiety, it might be that something is trying to get to the surface.. stay with your anxiety, dont be afraid of it. You dont have to nurture it, but just be aware of it. It might help you to calm down. Sometimes it helps with me.

#457753 - 01/01/14 10:51 AM Re: Giving Voice.... [Re: Rich918]
Rich918 Offline

Next week, we're going to try drawing.

#457755 - 01/01/14 11:57 AM Re: Giving Voice.... [Re: Rich918]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
sounds like what i went through at the beginning of working with a T. there was so much to get out that it was overwhelming. lots of confusing and mixed up intense emotions that i could not express or identify or explain. i called it "soup" - many ingredients that were hard to isolate and separate.

so - the good part is that you are aware of this - and that you are feeling something and are ready to work on it. you will do it. keep at the work and you will figure it out. let us know how the drawing goes.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.