Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closure (24), esp22 (40)
Who's Online
3 registered (HD001, pufferfish, 1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63239 Topics
442215 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#457690 - 12/31/13 01:32 PM "new" year?
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i have big problems with the whole hype about NEW YEAR. it seems so arbitrary and meaningless to me. it is just a number that somebody decided at some point. what does it mean - really? just because you notch the date up a digit and turn a page on the calendar and make a list of stuff to do or not to do...
i just don't get it.

and what are we supposed to celebrate - that a bunch of stuff is behind us - or that we are trying to convince ourselves that things are going to be different in the future?

and i hate the parties - never fit in or enjoyed them. that is, IF i even get invited. and all those sloppy or mad or too happy or out of control drunks! i just can't handle it all.

this probly sounds really negative - sorry. i guess i feel like you can start changing at any time you decide to and take action to follow through. maybe this is just my non-conformist and anti-social tendencies coming through.

whatever!

regardless of my personal feelings - i do hope the future is better for all of you - whatever that may mean in your individual situations.
LEE
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#457714 - 12/31/13 06:54 PM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
ACRoberts Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey (recently moved fro...
Lee,
I wish you the best of all possible futures as well. Your posts have inspired me time and time again. I agree about the celebrations--I never seemed to fit in and since I have been sober now for 23 years, drinking is not something for me. I keep hoping for a better future for all of us.

Allan

#457735 - 01/01/14 01:31 AM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
fwiw, the only thing I've "celebrated" in recent memory is that I a new number helps me put a year of shit behind me, especially true with 2012 and 2013.

And screw it if I sound negative. Ain't a sin.

#457747 - 01/01/14 09:21 AM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Allan - well done on 23 years! awesome achievement!

Lancer - yeah, you've come through a LOT, man! that is worth celebrating.

in case anyone is interested in MORE new year celebrations - i used to live in Thailand - where they observed 3 a year - the Western one, the Buddhist one and the Islamic one!!! some people celebrated all of them - but i thought that was confusing and would age me prematurely so i opted out entirely.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#457763 - 01/01/14 08:23 PM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Lee,

Last night was pretty tame-even more than usual. I've had tonsillitis for a few days, so I sat in a chair watching bowl games before I fell asleep at 11:15. The kids went to bed at 9:30 and my wife read a book while I dozed. That was it.

I'm pretty social, but I've never cared for big New Year's Eve parties. I'd rather spend it with close friends and family since I'm usually a bit melancholy and contemplative. This year I felt so bad, I just wanted to go to bed early.

I'm with you on the arbitrary flip of the calendar. Lancer also has a great point in being able to turn the page on a lousy year---a way provide some separation between "then" and "now."

That said, I plan on continuing what I've been doing. Working, trying to be a good spouse and father, (hopefully) staying in shape, and handling this other "stuff" the best I've learned how. I suppose I'm making no big plans for the new year. I rarely do since I'm the type of guy who generally likes to take things as they come.

I do dread the crowds at the pool and gym from this week through February. smile

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.