Newest Members
CC Counseling, Alan Clammer, kristih335, markcox, cid41706
12677 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Adam A Gedman (49), blueboi (40), dannym (52), james369 (67), Traggy (29)
Who's Online
8 registered (smc1972, Bluedogone, 6 invisible), 12 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12677 Members
75 Forums
65133 Topics
455560 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#457690 - 12/31/13 01:32 PM "new" year?
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i have big problems with the whole hype about NEW YEAR. it seems so arbitrary and meaningless to me. it is just a number that somebody decided at some point. what does it mean - really? just because you notch the date up a digit and turn a page on the calendar and make a list of stuff to do or not to do...
i just don't get it.

and what are we supposed to celebrate - that a bunch of stuff is behind us - or that we are trying to convince ourselves that things are going to be different in the future?

and i hate the parties - never fit in or enjoyed them. that is, IF i even get invited. and all those sloppy or mad or too happy or out of control drunks! i just can't handle it all.

this probly sounds really negative - sorry. i guess i feel like you can start changing at any time you decide to and take action to follow through. maybe this is just my non-conformist and anti-social tendencies coming through.

whatever!

regardless of my personal feelings - i do hope the future is better for all of you - whatever that may mean in your individual situations.
LEE
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself... And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." - Paulo Coelho

#457714 - 12/31/13 06:54 PM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
ACRoberts Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey (recently moved fro...
Lee,
I wish you the best of all possible futures as well. Your posts have inspired me time and time again. I agree about the celebrations--I never seemed to fit in and since I have been sober now for 23 years, drinking is not something for me. I keep hoping for a better future for all of us.

Allan

#457735 - 01/01/14 01:31 AM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
Lancer Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
fwiw, the only thing I've "celebrated" in recent memory is that I a new number helps me put a year of shit behind me, especially true with 2012 and 2013.

And screw it if I sound negative. Ain't a sin.

#457747 - 01/01/14 09:21 AM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
Allan - well done on 23 years! awesome achievement!

Lancer - yeah, you've come through a LOT, man! that is worth celebrating.

in case anyone is interested in MORE new year celebrations - i used to live in Thailand - where they observed 3 a year - the Western one, the Buddhist one and the Islamic one!!! some people celebrated all of them - but i thought that was confusing and would age me prematurely so i opted out entirely.

Lee
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself... And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." - Paulo Coelho

#457763 - 01/01/14 08:23 PM Re: "new" year? [Re: traveler]
Suwanee Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Lee,

Last night was pretty tame-even more than usual. I've had tonsillitis for a few days, so I sat in a chair watching bowl games before I fell asleep at 11:15. The kids went to bed at 9:30 and my wife read a book while I dozed. That was it.

I'm pretty social, but I've never cared for big New Year's Eve parties. I'd rather spend it with close friends and family since I'm usually a bit melancholy and contemplative. This year I felt so bad, I just wanted to go to bed early.

I'm with you on the arbitrary flip of the calendar. Lancer also has a great point in being able to turn the page on a lousy year---a way provide some separation between "then" and "now."

That said, I plan on continuing what I've been doing. Working, trying to be a good spouse and father, (hopefully) staying in shape, and handling this other "stuff" the best I've learned how. I suppose I'm making no big plans for the new year. I rarely do since I'm the type of guy who generally likes to take things as they come.

I do dread the crowds at the pool and gym from this week through February. smile

Will

I AM

Cruel Summer
My Journal

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.