Newest Members
mojo, James M, FredM88, Vermona, Jas52
12111 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
3 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, innervoice, 1 invisible), 73 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12111 Members
73 Forums
62495 Topics
438039 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#457228 - 12/22/13 10:44 AM Walking America, for a cause, or not
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
"Walking America" Article

I ran across this article this morning. It is the story of a dad's love for his son, but so much more. It actually had me breaking down by the end. Happy Sunday.

Anyone ever think about walking across America?

#457256 - 12/23/13 12:06 AM Re: Walking America, for a cause, or not [Re: ThisMan]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
when i was a young man hitchhiking in northern BC in 1979,
the guy i was travelling with told me he had a friend with cancer, who was going to run across Canada with one leg.
i laughed in his face and called him a liar.
it was the most ridiculous thing i had ever heard.
i had just finished crossing Canada from Montreal to Vancouver by car and it had taken almost a week.
it would be impossible to walk that distance with two legs.
the guy swore he was telling me the truth.
i was insulted that someone would think me capable of swallowing that much bullsh!t.
i did not give it another thought.

the next year Terry Fox was all over the news.
In 1980, with one leg having been amputated, he embarked on a cross-Canada run to raise money and awareness for cancer research. Although his health eventually forced him to end his quest after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), his attempt resulted in a lasting legacy. The annual 'Marathon of Hope' Terry Fox Run, first held in 1981, now involves millions of participants internationally and has become the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research.

in 1985 Stephen Fonyo, another one-legged Canadian cancer survivor completed what Terry Fox had begun. Fonyo began his "Journey for Lives" marathon at age 18, and completed it 14 months later, covering 7,924 km (4,924 mi) and raising $14 million.

one word... WOW!

War
Love
Poetry

#457266 - 12/23/13 08:55 AM Re: Walking America, for a cause, or not [Re: ThisMan]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: ThisMan
"Walking America" Article

I ran across this article this morning. It is the story of a dad's love for his son, but so much more. It actually had me breaking down by the end. Happy Sunday.

Anyone ever think about walking across America?

I've thought about it and read a lot on the topic of long distance hiking. I don't think I'd ever do it because I don't think being alone that much would be good for my emotional stability and some health issues would make it quite a bit difficult. I do walk quite a bit and at least once a month spend a whole day from sunrise to sunset walking, but it is usually in a circuit so that I begin and end at my car. Its definitely something that I find rewarding.
"As long as the child within is not allowed to become aware of what happened to him or her, a part of his or her emotional life will remain frozen . . . all appeals to love, solidarity, and compassion will be useless."
-- Alice Miller

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.