Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Jeremy (29), john22 (31), just starting (58)
Who's Online
3 registered (md4e, 2 invisible), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64184 Topics
447876 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#457127 - 12/20/13 01:21 PM Job interview questions..
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
I have been given the opportunity of second job interview.
I dont want to screw this up.

I am worried . The interview is early MOnday morning.

And i have googled tips...

One person says the most important question at a job interview
is " what is your greatest weakness"

my mind immediatley says " I care".

So i can use some help .. anyone who has any advice
they can give me ..that would be absolutley appreciated!

Thanks alot you guys , love ya.

Goran

#457129 - 12/20/13 02:44 PM Re: Job interview questions.. [Re: Sterling]
Ever-fixed Mark Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
Sterling,

It might help to have more context about how you care. smile My first take without that is to recast your statement like this:

"I care about getting things right and/or doing the right thing but sometimes it leads to me losing sight of the bigger picture."

Then next thing they might ask is for an example of when this has happened. It's certainly one of the questions I've asked in interviews (I've done several hundred interviews over the years), and you will be asked about your greatest strength too if they are any good at interviewing.

I have to disagree with the person you paraphrase above. I think the most important questions to have nailed are "Why are you the right person for this position?" and "Why should we hire you over any other applicant?". Those questions are about focusing on your *strengths* and I've found them more convincing than answers to negatively focused questions.

Most importantly, remember to breathe and be as relaxed and loose as you can be while being alert and present. Everyone expects people to be nervous at job interviews so no one is going to worry too much about a little nerves.

Good luck!

-efm

Everybody here's got a story to tell
Everybody's been through their own hell
There's nothing too special about getting hurt
Getting over it, that takes the work

- "Duck and Cover" by Glen Phillips

#457131 - 12/20/13 03:53 PM Re: Job interview questions.. [Re: Sterling]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have a process that has worked well for me:

...Never have "canned" answers.
If I find myself telling the interviewer something I think they want to hear, I am guilty of false advertising. I never try to second-guess what I may be asked. Let them ask - I'll always have an answer - even if it's "I don't know."

...Go in with at least three of your own questions.
Interviews are two-way discussions, not one-way streets. My attitude is that I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. That very attitude shows itself externally as confidence, and the fact I am asking questions shows I am interested in who they are. They may be judging my answers, But I should also be evaluating their questions.

...Be brutally honest.
It sets you apart from the pack. I moved from one profession to another, and was applying for a position in the new profession. The question they asked was hypothetical - if I did not get the position I sought, would I still work in the industry? I said no - I told them I would rather be working at the top of my abilities in my previous profession than accept a less challenging position elsewhere. That was honest, and I am sure that was not the expected "canned" response. I passed that interview, by the way.

...Be yourself.
The interview should be fun. So be yourself and show off your personality. Applications are dreary and so binary. This is an opportunity to dazzle them with your character. If they don't appreciate that, you have to wonder if you really would be happy working for them anyways.

In short, if you remember nothing else, take to heart this gem from Dr. Seuss:

...Be who you are
...And say what you feel -
...Because those who matter don't mind
...And those who mind don't matter.

Simply be YOU! And have fun.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#457148 - 12/20/13 09:09 PM Re: Job interview questions.. [Re: Sterling]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Eirik,

I was prepared to give my two cents, but you covered it---well.

Good luck Goran.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#457194 - 12/21/13 05:08 PM Re: Job interview questions.. [Re: Suwanee]
Sterling Offline

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada
Thanks alot you guys , i needed the help.

I ll be back , hopefully with some good news.

hugs to ya s

G

#457207 - 12/21/13 09:50 PM Re: Job interview questions.. [Re: Sterling]
Sam Wise Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MI
What has helped me most

Learn to tell stories about jobs you've held, things you've done, people you've interacted with. Write out several stories so that you get comfortable with them. Then look for ways to apply the stories to various questions you maybe asked.
Find ways to quantify your success, the value you've added to your employer

Spend time thinking through the specific tasks you'll perform in that job and what you've done in the past that has prepared you for it

Best of luck

Sam
like in the great stories.. Full of darkness and danger. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, itís only a passing thing this shadow. Even darkness must pass.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.