Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (susie, ethereo222, Doubter), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441784 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#456669 - 12/12/13 08:19 AM Supporting a loved one through PTSD/panic attacks
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Hello F&F community,

I wanted to share with you all the following piece I just saw that I think has some very good tips for supporting a survivor who may be struggling with flashbacks. Obviously these tips may not be immediately helpful if the survivor in your life acts out with aggression and anger when "triggered", but perhaps these tips can give you some things to suggest to them in calmer moments.

Supporting A Loved One Through PTSD Or Panic Attacks

Also, I hope you'll all take a look at the holiday message I just posted to the top of the forums. It would be especially wonderful to have some survivor partners give us some reviews on Great NonProfits.

Thanks and happy holidays to all!

Chris

#456693 - 12/12/13 04:26 PM Re: Supporting a loved one through PTSD/panic attacks [Re: Chris Anderson]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Thank you for sharing. When I was having flashbacks and nightmares I found yself retreating to the floor with a blanket on top of me. It made me feel sager but the attacks would continue. I would hear noises from ourside the room which only made the flashbacks worse.

The cartoon and verbiage is on target and the supporter needs to be sensitive to the person experiencing the attack.

I found it very informative and insightful.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.