Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
5 registered (sadclown, tbkkfile, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63218 Topics
442045 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#456382 - 12/08/13 12:04 PM On the road to recovery
kirbs Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My name is Chris and I am becoming a Victor over childhood sexual abuse.

Over the past several years, with the help of my amazingly supportive wife, I have started the journey to becoming a Victor. I have said the above statement in public, I have disclosed it to friends and family, and I have typed it in numerous emails and it is still a statement that brings chills to my spine...I have a long road yet to travel.

Along with a tumultuous twenty five years of denial, self destruction, fear and hiding my childhood has given me an extensive and almost complete wiping clean of my memory. While this seems to have 'saved' me from the monsters in my past, it has also robbed me of any of the good things that have happened in my life. I have come to understand that the only way past is through. The only way to get to the other side and reclaim the positive things in my life is to get through the things that were done to me. The things that were not my fault.

In starting this journey I have found that the more I embrace my past and the more I try to speak out and help others like me, the more memories (both good and bad) I get back. It is for this reason that I am both very glad and incredibly fearful of typing this here for you to read.

I understand the healing potential that a group like this can have. I know the strength that we can find together. Thank you for letting me be a part of your group.

Peace to you all.

Chris

#456386 - 12/08/13 12:51 PM Re: On the road to recovery [Re: kirbs]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
GREAT NEWS!

and thank you for sharing that positive energy with me.

i got a really good feeling from reading your post.

ms.org can help you heal,
but it is only one piece of a big picture.

i can see you already know that.

it would seem that you are already well on your way to putting the past behind and seizing the time before you.

your brother in battle.

War
Love
Poetry

#456761 - 12/13/13 10:27 PM Re: On the road to recovery [Re: kirbs]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: kirbs
In starting this journey I have found that the more I embrace my past and the more I try to speak out and help others like me, the more memories (both good and bad) I get back.
Hey Chris,

Welcome. When I first got to MS, someone told me that the more we talk about it, the less power it has over us. I've found that to be true. I hope you do as well.

Jude
....it's life's illusions I recall, I really don't know life at all. "
Joni Mitchell

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.