Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
3 registered (Aptrick, ACRoberts, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#412452 - 10/08/12 12:59 AM Blogger claims sexual abuse causes brain damage
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Just read a blog of a CSA survivor that cites a Yale professors study that sexual abuse damages or shrinks the hippocampus part of the brain which controls stress and memory

http://garnetbird.hubpages.com/hub/Child...-Alarming-Study

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#412455 - 10/08/12 01:33 AM Re: Blogger claims sexual abuse causes brain damage [Re: onlyakid]
Undefeated Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
This reminds me of something I read that childhood abuse may be a cause of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. They theory was that a child develops a pattern of thinking about anything not related to the abuse to separate themselves from what was happening. This pattern of thinking about multiple random things, all at the same time imprints on the brain for life and becomes ADD. Interesting theory, but not yet proven.

http://www.zocdoc.com/answers/4618/can-childhood-abuse-cause-attention-deficit-in-adults

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1934403/
(I don't know why the above study was only on girls.)

I just realized that I "ADD'd" by reading your post and diverting to another topic. laugh

#412531 - 10/08/12 11:07 PM Re: Blogger claims sexual abuse causes brain damage [Re: Undefeated]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'm reading a book which gives good information on the damage that child abuse does to our brain.

Psychological Trauma and the Developing Brain, by Phyllis Stein and Joshua C Kendall

http://www.amazon.com/Psychological-Trauma-Developing-Brain-Neurologically/dp/0789017881/

The earlier the abuse, the more damage it does. I'm going to post a review of this book very soon. It actually provides encouragement that the brain of a child, and to a lesser extent of an adult, is plastic and capable of restructuring itself. On the down side, it relates how early abuse in a child such as I was causes dyslexia, ADHD, complex PTSD, and social malfunction. It relates these malfunctions and others to documented damage to the brain of a young child. I had all those symptoms. They didn't know ANYTHING about this when I was a child. The book gives recommendations for treating children.

For adults, some of the things which will benefit you are: writing out your stories, as in writing in MS, playing video games, especially the arcade games such as Pacman, talking out your story with a counselor, vision therapy and EMDR.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (10/09/12 12:29 AM)

#412548 - 10/09/12 02:01 AM Re: Blogger claims sexual abuse causes brain damage [Re: onlyakid]
Undefeated Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Very interesting stuff Puffer. I can see how the stress of abuse causes a child to disconnect their active thoughts from what is happening. I know that happened to me with the sexual abuse and how my father treated me too. I had to disconnect in order to survive.

As for talking with a counselor, I am not sure that's helpful to me anymore. Fist of all, I have no financial resources for counseling. The counselor I went to for 10 sessions told me a few helpful things, but generally he harmed me a lot more than helped. He gave me reason to, "go off the deep end." Not only all this, but it's only because I saw him that I can't sue the Boy Scouts and my perp, because of Colorado's evil statute of limitations.

Here's the other message I got from counseling: When I got too old to appeal sexually to my perp, he didn't have anything to do with me. Rejection! My father never wanted me nor loved me and he bailed out on our family. Rejection again! When I had no money for counseling, the counselor didn't give a rip about me. Rejection again. So here's the message I get loud and clear. Sex and money = acceptance. Me, myself and I = rejection/loser/unwanted/not cared about/unloved

#412550 - 10/09/12 02:18 AM . [Re: Undefeated]
Life's A Dream Offline

Loc: Bouvet Island
'

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 09:37 PM)

#412553 - 10/09/12 02:45 AM . [Re: onlyakid]
Life's A Dream Offline

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 09:34 PM)

#412555 - 10/09/12 03:37 AM . [Re: onlyakid]
Life's A Dream Offline

Edited by Life's A Dream (01/12/13 09:34 PM)

#456248 - 12/06/13 09:57 PM Re: Blogger claims sexual abuse causes brain damage [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
New Research on Dyslexia (after the introductory quote)

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
I'm reading a book which gives good information on the damage that child abuse does to our brain.

Psychological Trauma and the Developing Brain, by Phyllis Stein and Joshua C Kendall

http://www.amazon.com/Psychological-Trauma-Developing-Brain-Neurologically/dp/0789017881/

The earlier the abuse, the more damage it does. I'm going to post a review of this book very soon. It actually provides encouragement that the brain of a child, and to a lesser extent of an adult, is plastic and capable of restructuring itself. On the down side, it relates how early abuse in a child such as I was causes dyslexia, ADHD, complex PTSD, and social malfunction. It relates these malfunctions and others to documented damage to the brain of a young child. I had all those symptoms. They didn't know ANYTHING about this when I was a child. The book gives recommendations for treating children.

For adults, some of the things which will benefit you are: writing out your stories, as in writing in MS, playing video games, especially the arcade games such as Pacman, talking out your story with a counselor, vision therapy and EMDR.

Reported recently in the prestigious journal Science:
Science 6 December 2013:
Vol. 342 no. 6163 pp. 1251-1254
DOI: 10.1126/science.1244333

The authors of the article are:

Bart Boets
Hans P. Op de Beeck
Maaike Vandermosten
Sophie K. Scott
Céline R. Gillebert
Dante Mantini
Jessica Bulthé
Stefan Sunaert
Jan Wouters
Pol Ghesquière

Originally Posted By: editor's summary from Science

Dyslexia makes reading and spelling difficult. Boets et al. (p. 1251) analyzed whether for adult readers with dyslexia the internal references for word sounds are poorly constructed or whether accessing those references is abnormally difficult. Brain imaging during phonetic discrimination tasks suggested that the internal dictionary for word sounds was correct, but accessing the dictionary was more difficult than normal.

Originally Posted By: authors' summary

Dyslexia is a severe and persistent reading and spelling disorder caused by impairment in the ability to manipulate speech sounds. We combined functional magnetic resonance brain imaging with multivoxel pattern analysis and functional and structural connectivity analysis in an effort to disentangle whether dyslexics’ phonological deficits are caused by poor quality of the phonetic representations or by difficulties in accessing intact phonetic representations. We found that phonetic representations are hosted bilaterally in primary and secondary auditory cortices and that their neural quality (in terms of robustness and distinctness) is intact in adults with dyslexia. However, the functional and structural connectivity between the bilateral auditory cortices and the left inferior frontal gyrus (a region involved in higher-level phonological processing) is significantly hampered in dyslexics, suggesting deficient access to otherwise intact phonetic representations.

The article is published in a current issue of Science.

Puffer

Comment from Puffer
I think that this current report in Science really helps us to understand what dyslexia is and how it interferes with reading. The article, when seen in light of the material on how child abuse damages the brain, really sheds light on how dyslexia can arise from early child abuse.

Edited by pufferfish (12/06/13 10:02 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.