Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aleja (40), bc22 (47), DavidMI (40), Forrest_Gump (39), Jay1946 (68), Malc4 (29), mpm01 (49), widpaulman (43)
Who's Online
5 registered (WriterKeith, YYZGIRL, dan_in_newengland, Shyshark, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63575 Topics
444168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#456484 - 12/09/13 06:06 PM Re: A Non-Human Buffer [Re: Valkyrie]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
what I've noticed myself is that dogs are so emotionally honest, they bring out that form of honesty, but by not being human they don't have all the human complications especially with things like physical affection. I've had an actual form of physical closeness just lying curled up with my dog that I've never had with any human, though I know it is possible, indeed one irony is that while with people I am extremely tactile defensive, if I meet a doog I'll be the first person to bend down and and have it climb all over me, ---- indeed often dogs that don't tend to get on with most people get on with me.

#456485 - 12/09/13 06:28 PM Re: A Non-Human Buffer [Re: Valkyrie]
Valkyrie Offline

My husband is the same way. He is the most incredible pied-piper of dogs I have ever seen.

But what I noticed last night is that I tend to have a reactive zone-out effect to my husband. Where he would usually play video games and watch sunday night football. He in stead watched the game with the dog by his side and tried many times to talk with me. I realized I was doing my now "usual" thing which is when he zones out, I put in earphones and watch a movie or listen to a book and zone out on him.

I have learned I have to be more responsive now to his effort.

#456645 - 12/11/13 11:28 PM Re: A Non-Human Buffer [Re: Valkyrie]
HRB Offline

Such an interesting post! As they say- dogs are great therapy (and I guess studies have even proved that). I know I just completely adore my dog and my life wouldn't be complete without her. In fact- my "pen name" is her initials. I guess she makes me feel safe to ask questions about this world I am just beginning to learn about. And the male survivor in my life has always been SUCH a dog person. Similar to what others have said- he is so kind and loving with the dogs he's had and they definitely seem to bring him so much comfort. We've often joked that he seems more in love with his dogs than the women he's had in his life. But I guess there is definitely something to that for the male survivor.

As if I needed another reason to love dogs, this thread is yet another one. Yay for dogs and for all of you for giving them a good home!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.