Newest Members
squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous
12368 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
1 registered (WriterKeith), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12368 Members
74 Forums
63565 Topics
444123 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#455264 - 11/27/13 04:20 PM Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
Recently I took a job with one of those big chain book stores we all know and love/hate. All in all the job has been pretty horrid given it is retail and my employer picked up the same post-2008 crash playbook as every other major retail. Many of you have probably experienced it, that is getting paid minimum wage for maximum labor all while working under constant pressure to perform by your 4-5 managers : P Safe to say it sucks and I can't wait to get a less stressful job!

In any case, during the holidays my store does the usual donation drive for any number of charities. Well, every year they do one for children and usually end up doing a drive for the local Children's Medical Center (a worthy cause). However, I persuaded my managers to take gift donations for a local charity house that helps abused and neglected children with their psychological, medical, and legal issues. I had visited the center before during their open house and found their operation to be quite impressive.

In any case, the donation drive will continue on through Christmas and we are already on track to bring in thousands of dollars in books and toys for the children! I was able to put together a list of relevant materials such as "A Terrible Thing Happened" and "I Said No!" that will hopefully serve to help out some kid in need but also plenty of toys as well. In essence, WE can make a difference for all survivors in our communities. All it took for me was a quick conversation about the benefits of the cause and they were on board. Best of all, it is incredibly heartening to see how many people believe in our cause when it is brought to their attention. We have lots of friends out there : )

#455269 - 11/27/13 05:05 PM Re: Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big [Re: Publius]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
laugh

What a wonderful cause you have championed ! I wish you great success in raising awareness and funds through your work over Christmas... it's inspiring to me to read this!!!

Thanks,
Mark

#455300 - 11/27/13 11:47 PM Re: Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big [Re: Publius]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
well done, Publius!

i am proud of you .

LEE
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#455302 - 11/28/13 12:01 AM Re: Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big [Re: Publius]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
I am most impressed. Terrific that you brought the attention to children who haven't had their voices heard. This is what makes a difference! Thanks for sharing.

bill

#455303 - 11/28/13 12:02 AM Re: Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big [Re: Publius]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
What a way to spread your love, Publius! And, to think you are able to do it in a less than desirable situation. BRAVO!!!!!!!!
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#455324 - 11/28/13 04:04 AM Re: Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big [Re: Publius]
justplainme Offline

Great job mate.

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#455334 - 11/28/13 09:23 AM Re: Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big [Re: Publius]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
smile

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#455336 - 11/28/13 09:34 AM Re: Sometimes it's the little victories that feel big [Re: Publius]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Awesome Publis! You definitely have something to be legitimately proud of yourself for there. Good luck finding a better paying and less stressful job by the way. smile

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.