Newest Members
brightheart, Hank2, Severe stammer, Jeff B., Aquarian
12838 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
CFVB (47), cjmofwp (60), direstraitu (43), greg64 (51), Jonah (46), Kary (55), MittensxonxKit (24), proteus (40), Stargazer (43), steel (45), Tanis2105 (51)
Who's Online
1 registered (Jude), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12838 Members
75 Forums
66383 Topics
463873 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Topic Options
#454472 - 11/19/13 06:33 PM Taking It Like a Man
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
I am working through dealing with feelings about the effects of my CSA, my kids, my ex and my new relationship and one thing keeps rearing its ugly head

I suck at taking criticism

So I realized after talking to my friend the minister and my T that I don't and can't hear what others have to say when i get instantly defensive cuz i take it personally and catastrophize the shit out of it.

I have to accept that you cannot learn anything new without making mistakes. That has nothing to do with me personally - it's all about how the brain works.

So my new tac is to ask myself "like my abuser is this person deliberately trying to hurt me." If the answer is no ( its almost always no) , then i have the need, want , obligation and power to stay in the moment and not put up the walls or start firing back with attack cannons blazing.

What has worked for you? I think this is a key because survivors have so much to hide and protect I think we tend to let this coping mechanism push into other parts of our life.

"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots."

- Frank A. Clark
The need for love lies at the very foundation of human existence. Dalai Lama

WoR Barrie 2011

#454473 - 11/19/13 06:37 PM Re: Taking It Like a Man [Re: 1lifenow]
Onesimus75 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
My T gave me this to hang onto:
If you never receive criticism then either no one cares what you're doing or nothing you're doing matters.
We are not defined by our faults, or our wounds, but by the truth within us, which nothing can take away.

#454478 - 11/19/13 06:50 PM Re: Taking It Like a Man [Re: Onesimus75]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Onesimus75
My T gave me this to hang onto:
If you never receive criticism then either no one cares what you're doing or nothing you're doing matters.

I am totally stealing that...

Great summation.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.