Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
iwishicared (41), Scott Oliver (53), TutDaVinci (32)
Who's Online
6 registered (Frm73, Going forward, Obi, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63369 Topics
443114 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#453586 - 11/14/13 12:00 AM I don't think his therapist is what he needs
pluchi Offline

My H was in theraphy for two years (before he met me) with this theraphist that does psicoanalysis. He did not tell him that he had been a victim of sexual abuse then but instead he went to see him because he wanted to find a reason why he was unfaithful and why he was so afraid of commitment.

He at some point talked about been a victim and this therapist did not ask my H more on that (can you imagine!) however, my H said to me that this theraphy helped him.

He stopped going and after a year or so of going out with me, he started been unfaithful to me, therefore his theraphy did not help, however, now he has started to go to this same therapist, how can he know, how can I know this terapist is right for him??

Thank you!!!

#453593 - 11/14/13 02:51 AM Re: I don't think his therapist is what he needs [Re: pluchi]
HopeDiesLast Offline

I think noone but your H can know whether the therapist is right for him. But the fact that they didn't talk about the sexual abuse is a red flag for me. That there are links between acting out sexually / being afraid of commitment and sexual abuse is well-documented, so this should definitely be looked into.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of psychoanalysis but maybe someone else here has good experiences. IMO a therapist who is specialized in trauma and sexual abuse would be a better fit. You might also want to look into finding someone who has training in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). That has yielded great results for many here.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.