Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
4 registered (Esposa, pufferfish, learning2luvme, 1 invisible), 74 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438367 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#453152 - 11/10/13 06:56 PM Asking alums for money
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Today I received a call from the university where I earned a master's degree. They were calling alumni asking for money. A couple of years ago on Good Friday, the college newspaper published a cartoon in both the printed version and the online version of the newspaper which depicted a group of priests driving around in a van, putting on an Easter bunny costume, trying to lure young boys into their van. While it never mentioned for what purpose, the intent was clear. The caption on the cartoon was simply "Happy Easter." I found this cartoon particularly offensive, and it was even more so when my past history of CSA is factored in. I made the decision right there that I would no longer give money to this university. It is no longer the university I graduated from. The artist and editors may feel that their First Amendment rights permit them to publish anything they wish, and they are almost 100% correct. However, that doesn't mean that their decisions will be warmly received. It is extremely insensitive to any victims of sex abuse to see their experience used as a source of alleged humor on a religious holiday.

It wouldn't be right of me to just stop giving money without explaining to the university why I'm doing so. They can't fix the problem if they're not aware that a problem exists. Also, I can't make my point if I don't explain it. I decided that I would explain to any callers why I wasn't giving any money. Last year, when I explained my reasoning, the solicitor said to me that he was sure that the editors had been sufficiently punished and that it's not fair of me to punish the whole student body for the actions of a few. I responded that how does he know that they've been punished. I was annoyed that he didn't acknowledge my viewpoint.

Today the student caller apologized for the actions of the newspaper staff. She said that it was in poor taste to publish such a cartoon. It was a very classy way to respond to a situation she wasn't in charge of. It wasn't enough to change my mind but I was impressed with her composure and acknowledgment of my opinion.

I realize I'm not going to change the world, but it is important to voice the long lasting effects of CSA and to stand up to insensitive jerks who use CSA just for a laugh.

Take care,

Dave

#453183 - 11/10/13 11:41 PM Re: Asking alums for money [Re: DavoSwim]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
good on you for asserting your opinion.

War
Love
Poetry

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.