Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
9 registered (Bloom, Obi, 5 invisible), 37 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63798 Topics
445506 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#452895 - 11/08/13 11:22 AM What is forgivness?
jas4159 Offline

Your thoughts please.

rich

justanothersurvivror.wordpress.org my story.

rich

justanothersurvivror.wordpress.com

#452909 - 11/08/13 12:00 PM Re: What is forgiveness? [Re: jas4159]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
this is my own opinion and experience on forgiveness.
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthr...2551#Post432551

not easy, but possible.

p.s.
justanothersurvivror.wordpress.org link does not work.

War
Love
Poetry

#452912 - 11/08/13 12:14 PM Re: What is forgiveness? [Re: jas4159]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
For me, forgiveness helped me let go of the anger, it did not let them off the hook. I don't have to carry all of that darkness around inside of me anymore.

#452915 - 11/08/13 12:29 PM Re: What is forgivness? [Re: jas4159]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

forgiveness begins with ourselves--we need to forgive ourselves for what happened. I blamed myself and held myself responsible for what happened. But only with time and healing did I learn I was not and I then could forgive myself.

I do not believe we have to forgive the abuser for what he has done--we only need to accept it as part of who we are. I believe with acceptance we do achieve some of the elements of forgiveness--we release anger and the need for revenge, we can begin to fully reengage in life and living, we forgive ourselves for what happened--these are emotions from the heart or internal thoughts.

#452924 - 11/08/13 01:02 PM Re: What is forgivness? [Re: jas4159]
Bluedogone Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast US
I don't think it's possible forgive on your own. You have to turn it over to God (or whatever supreme being is at the center of your life). I couldn't possibly add anything to Victor-Victim's earlier post.

If you take all the hate, anger, rage and any other unhealthy toxic part of life that you feel toward your abuser, and turn it over to God, and let Him work it out, then forgiveness is possible. Before that I think's it's just a feeble attempt to try to get some relief from feeling so down on yourself and your life.

Rich, what are your thoughts?

#452932 - 11/08/13 02:08 PM Re: What is forgivness? [Re: jas4159]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Terminus
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WATCH --- PLEASE?

Offered JUST as a perspective. That's all. Offered in answer to the thread's subject. That's all.

Edited by Still (11/08/13 02:12 PM)

The Aftermath Video

My Absolute Hero!

#452943 - 11/08/13 02:55 PM Re: What is forgivness? [Re: jas4159]
victor-victim Offline

quite an abrupt ending to the video.

i have to admit that i still struggle with my forgiveness feelings.
i often wish for perpetrators to suffer some form of punishment or consequence for the damage caused and lives ruined...
especially when force, premeditation, violence, injury, torture, murder or sadism are involved.
when i pray for divine justice and vengeance,
that feels unsatisfactory and inadequate and presumptuous and unclean.
i prefer to pray for peace, wisdom, love and tolerance.

War
Love
Poetry

#452958 - 11/08/13 05:43 PM Re: What is forgiveness? [Re: Still]
victor-victim Offline

Originally Posted By: Still
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WATCH --- PLEASE?

Offered JUST as a perspective. That's all. Offered in answer to the thread's subject. That's all.

something this guy said is stuck in my mind.
the more i think about it, the more it sticks.

there must be degrees of forgiveness,
i found it healthy to forgive my abusers, but
i do not believe it necessary to wish them well,
as this speaker implies.

i prefer to leave that in god's hands.
i believe they will get whatever they deserve.
(one way or another)

i have forgiven my abusers... yes.
do i pardon them... no.
do i wish them well... no.
do i want god to forgive them... yes.
do i want them to earn it... yes.
do i want god to prevent and punish them... yes.
would i prevent or punish a perp if possible... yes.
do i want them to fully comprehend and realize the impact of their selfish action and seek redemption... yes.
would i like the abusers to feel guilt, empathy and remorse... yes.
would i like the abusers to confess, apologize, repent and atone... yes.
do i dwell (obsess or ruminate) on it anymore... no.
i think those apparently contradictory points of view are not entirely incompatible.
they seem to make emotional sense to me.

War
Love
Poetry

#452986 - 11/08/13 11:19 PM Re: What is forgiveness? [Re: jas4159]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Jas4159-

For me FORGIVENESS is a new concept. I can not forgive what I haven't fully dealt with inside. It gives me a personal, calm power as I move into this phase of my recovery because this time around I know I make the choice. It is not forced on me, beguilingly taken from me, but something I will freely give when the time is right for me. I will forgive each when the time is right for me.

#453000 - 11/09/13 12:03 AM Re: What is forgivness? [Re: jas4159]
Hartdaddy Offline

Just my two cents worth

1 cent

The myth of "Forgive and Forget"

Forgive and forget puts all the burden on the forgiver, I struggled for years with the forget part. I was willing to try but how does one forget something that has so effected us that our own actions are a daily reminder of what happened to us.

Working with my T the real eye opener for me was, where was my anger? I was more than willing to forgive my perp and move on without every admitting how much he hurt me. Forgiveness was my way of not dealing with my brokenness, having forgiven him I had not need to confront him. My T helped me to see I had a right to my pain, I was justified in my anger, but where was my anger? My anger was directed back at me, it was fueling a run away sexual addiction and it was ragging against me, when I finally sought help I had decided things were going to get better or I was getting out (suicide). You either own your pain or it will own you, so I say remember your pain own it and then forgive. .

2 cent

Every since I was molested I never felt alone, he was always there somewhere in the shadows, somewhere in my subconscious lurking in my dreams. There was no place to hide, somehow he always knew where to find me. We had this pact, he sinned and in my silence I paid for it.

Owning my pain gave me power, I will never forget the day I finally figured out what was wrong with me, I was a victim, I could finally put a label on it, I was a victim and I was relieved, some how it brought order to the kaos. This next part my be a little self serving but so be it, it is the letting go part, freedom. One day we went to church, my perp and I, feeling gutsy I went all the way to the front of the church, up the steps past the alter and put both hands on the tabernacle and prayed. I asked God to forgive me and I asked God to forgive my perp. I remember saying, Lord he is in your hands now, only one of us left church that day, me the survivor.

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.