Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
5 registered (ethereo222, pattom, 3 invisible), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63224 Topics
442107 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#452818 - 11/07/13 09:58 PM My escape
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Music just takes me there.
To places I want to go…and places I absolutely do NOT want to visit.

After all that happened at summer camp, I still had the indignity of not being able to go back "home" since my parents had just completed a cross-country move. I was miserable and I missed home. I missed pine trees, rolling green hills and humidity. I missed the land of my birth, so I had to carry it with me in my mind and in my ears. R.E.M.'s "Fables of the Reconstruction" was released that summer and I finally got my hands on it after I left hell. Fables of the Reconstruction

I listened to it repeatedly in the faint hope it would take me back to Georgia. Even though I was (and still am) a big R.E.M. fan, this album was hard to listen to for a time after I wore out its therapeutic value. The memories it induced were too difficult. Recently, I've added it to my iPod playlists.

That's all…I just heard a song from it and it brought on some memories---good and bad,

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#453397 - 11/12/13 04:43 PM Re: My escape [Re: Suwanee]
GT13568 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I've got a few records that do this to me. I love Michael Stipe's voice. I'm going to listen for my first time to "Fables..." knowing it will mean something important to me. Thanks for sharing, Will.

#453408 - 11/12/13 05:31 PM Re: My escape [Re: Suwanee]
GT13568 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
By the way, for me REM's album "Reckoning" achieves a mix of pain and loveliness and loneliness and hope that I almost can't bear, and yet am compelled to revisit periodically. I listened to it obsessively after, when I was a kid, well, after the active abuse and before recovery.

It sounds like you've made some progress, Will. Congratulations. I bet it's good to have this music back in rotation.

#453432 - 11/12/13 09:29 PM Re: My escape [Re: GT13568]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Very cool!

The specific song I heard was "Maps and Legends." About three songs later, "Old Man Kensey" came up. That's two from the same album. So much good is wrapped up in these vintage R.E.M. songs. I don't associate any of them with CSA--just the awkward aftermath.

The whole Athens music scene really took off when I was in late elementary school and early middle school. I remember when my best friend's college-age brother brought in the "Radio Free Europe" single from the Athens Wuxtry Records where Peter Buck had worked. I was hooked. Many concerts later, I still love the band today.

As much as I like the pre-Warner Bros. IRS stuff, I've really come to like "Automatic for the People." It came out when I was in college and I wasn't so sure about it at first. It's dark, brooding, and introspective---and I like it. I'm especially partial to "Monty Got a Raw Deal."

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.