Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (Nothing Man, woodenshoes, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64196 Topics
447987 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#452437 - 11/04/13 11:39 AM here we go again
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
so guys, another question
I let my T talk me into inviting my wife to a session with me. it is NOT a couples therapy thing he says, and he is NOT going to disclose my stuff he says, ( if you notice I am REALLY beginning to think less of this plan) thing is he feels I need to involve her in my "stuff" more. I have totally NO agenda for the session and far as I can tell it is going to be an hour of my life that I cant get back.I can see them getting along well and chatting for an hour and we go home,which I see as pointless. I have NO intention of sharing ANYTHING she does not already know. and she does know a lot so I am not understanding what the point is here. I feel like I would talk to him about what has been going on lately IF she were not going to be there, but it involves some things that I do NOT talk to her about so looks like I could send her and just stay home myself. have any of you done this kind of thing? what is it that he hopes to accomplish? I am getting pretty unsure now, I hope this doesn't go badly anyhow guys ... help!!!
jeff

#452438 - 11/04/13 12:18 PM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

You are the boss of your T sessions.

If you don't want it to happen, tell your T it will have to wait a few months.

Cant

#452446 - 11/04/13 02:17 PM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: newground

I let my T talk me into

RED FLAG. They don't lead - you do.

If you're not comfortable giving your wife more info, and not comfortable discussing your wife in front of T, then it sounds like a migraine start to finish. Unless your marriage is in crisis, I can't quite see what benefit this would bring to anyone.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of Heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#452454 - 11/04/13 03:30 PM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
I involved my wife in sessions - but at my invitation and my timing. It was very helpful in the long run - though not immediately. We eventually had two sessions a week - one for me and another as a couple. Go at your own pace. Pressure and coercion are not helpful.

LEE
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#452460 - 11/04/13 04:19 PM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Taking my toys, and heading home.

Edited by Castle (12/18/13 07:39 PM)

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#452648 - 11/06/13 08:39 AM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
I so hope it helps my wife, that is the only reason I would even do this. I am uncertain at best about the whole thing even though my wife told me if it is worrying me so much that she would stay home.I don't think that would serve any purpose either, perhaps stir some distrust on her part. Trust really is the issue I know, I don't trust easily or well. My wife is as close as I come to trusting anyone and even there there are limits I guess that is what this is all about. I don't feel good about it but we are going later today. eeeeeeeeee

#452649 - 11/06/13 08:57 AM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Taking my toys, and heading home.

Edited by Castle (12/18/13 07:40 PM)

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#452650 - 11/06/13 08:58 AM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

My two cents from experience. It is important to know her state of mind. Is she there to learn or heal or is her intent to vent and attack you for what you may have done. Is she all knowing and there to protect herself or others for their own behaviors or simply to deny what has happened? Only you know your wife and is she a supporter or destroyer? Emotions can take over, and know her agenda because it could push back your healing.

Be careful.

#452733 - 11/06/13 11:09 PM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: newground
...I let my T talk me into inviting my wife to a session with me. it is NOT a couples therapy thing he says, and he is NOT going to disclose my stuff he says....thing is he feels I need to involve her in my "stuff" more.
Hey NG,

I echo some of whats been said. Your T should be asking you to consider, not pressuring you to, bring your wife to a session. It may or may not be a good idea to involve her more in your "stuff", but thats you're decision, not his. If you're not comfortable with it, just tell him so. If he has a hissy fit, its time for a new T.

Be well,

Jude
Left here on my own or so it seems
I've got to leave before I start to scream
Joe Cocker

#452797 - 11/07/13 06:58 PM Re: here we go again [Re: newground]
CafeMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Chicago
Therapists do not push. Period. Their goal is to assist and lead you to realizing and changing/modifying/adapting your issue. He needs to understand your comfort level. Doesn't mean you will never comply, but it sounds like you need some time. Therefore, HE needs to come to some realizations, not YOU!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.