Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
5 registered (SoccerStar, JW1230, Rich1967, Obi, 1 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63772 Topics
445346 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#452636 - 11/06/13 03:29 AM Organizations dealing with suicidal thoughts
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
First, this is not anything to do with me or my recovery which is why I'm posting it here.

I work as admin for the forum on www.audiogames.net, a site about accessible computer games. In the offtopic section of the forum we've had a possible suicide threat, and I'd like to be able to post some links on where said person could go, since needless to say a forum about computer games is hardly the place to discuss such things, nor am I qualified in dealing with them, however rather than trying to loook on Google I thought I'd ask here since manifestly people are more likely to know.

I'm also a little concerned because it's only taken one post for another member on our forum to start mocking, which obviously I've tried to put a stop to that asap, but that's another reason why I'd like to actually have some helpful locations to send to this person just in case this suicide threat is genuine.

#452660 - 11/06/13 10:51 AM Re: Organizations dealing with suicidal thoughts [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Okay, possible sucide threat has turned to actual suicide threat, I'd definitely like some advice on where to direct said person.

#452664 - 11/06/13 11:21 AM Re: Organizations dealing with suicidal thoughts [Re: dark empathy]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Here is the list of contacts for such cases from MS's guidelines:

RESOURCES
Find a local suicide hotline at: http://suicidehotlines.com/ Best resource for links to local resources.
---Or---
Call the National Suicide help line 800 suicide (800-784-2433) (24 hrs/7 days week)

---Also---
Crisis Hotlines United States National:
1-866-334-HELP (24 hrs/7 days week)

International Suicide and Crisis Hotlines:
http://suicidehotlines.com/international.html

SAMARITANS United Kingdom
http://www.samaritans.org.uk/

Other:

Metanoia, a mental health consumer advocacy program has a good page discussing suicide at: http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/ with good depression information, referrals, and support (U.S.A.):

1-800-950-NAMI (6264) (M-F, 10am-5pm, Eastern time).
http://www.nami.org National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
Non-profit organization that helps individuals with mental illness, their families, and the community. Supplies informational brochures in English and in Spanish

Pero

#452672 - 11/06/13 12:20 PM Re: Organizations dealing with suicidal thoughts [Re: dark empathy]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hi Pero.

thanks for that, Pero, I knew there was such a list somewhere.

Really this is something I've just sort of been dropped in and I hope I can handle it the right way being admin of that particular forum, indeed I think I'll just copy that list myself and say it comes from an extremely trustworthy source.

If you or anyone else with more experience than me want to see what has happened the topic (which as a forum topic on the internet is public reccord anyway), can be Read here

I just hope I can deal with this situation reasonably.

#452798 - 11/07/13 07:14 PM Re: Organizations dealing with suicidal thoughts [Re: dark empathy]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Well, shit. That's disturbing.

I'm not criticizing depression or the right to choose where, when and how…but suicide just doesn't fit my philosophy. I'm not particularly religious, but I believe life is a series of random occurrences with the occasional "deux ex machina" or an equivalent thrown in. The meticulous preparations (or discussions thereof) are chilling. The metaphor "cashing in your chips" is apt.

The irony of listening to INXS while I type this isn't lost on me…and I sincerely hope this person plays another hand.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.