Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alpha (49), AYounglove10 (23), joanne (27), justme62 (52), pontifixmax (44), royjay (46), Steve S. (48)
Who's Online
7 registered (myrlin, BuffaloCO, Obi, 3 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64156 Topics
447671 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#452432 - 11/04/13 11:22 AM Chest tightness
Harvey Dent Offline

Every time I visit the site, my.chest gets tight and I experience angina. How long does it take for this to go away?

I have never had this problem before, even when I visited my shrink and told her everything I went through. The only time I ever felt something similar was when I had a heart attack two years ago (at age 31).

It usually goes away within a few minutes of logging off, and is not accompanied by Amy other symptoms such as racing heart, sweat, nervousness, or anything else associated with a panic attacks.

--HD

My story: http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452346#Post452346

Odds are that I am typing on my phone. Please excuse punctuation and spelling. Editing is a serious pain in the neck.

#452434 - 11/04/13 11:30 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hey harvey
you may be pushing yourself too hard. recovery is not a race and you can feel free to pull back some just chill and allow yourself to aclimate. I got the anxiety all the time so when I came here it was no different and certainly T was WAAAAAAAAY worse. hell even not there are things I have not shared with T that I have talked to guys here about. that is just me, and I think it is different with everyone. the biggest thing is try to breathe long and deep and take things at YOUR pace. I know for me I try hard to make it happen... doesn't work most times. be kind to yourself man you are worth it.
jeff

#452436 - 11/04/13 11:38 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Harvey,

i experience something similar when I talk about things related to my recovery. I have never described it as "angina," but I get the feeling we are talking about the same sort of sensation. I have struggled to find a way to describe it, and the best that I've come up with is a diaphragm cramp.

I have taken it to mean that part of me is unhappy with what is going on, that part of me feels threatened and/or unsafe during that moment, and the angina or diaphragm cramp is that part of me's way of discouraging me from going too far in that direction.

It is a feeling and sensation to honor, but also to test the boundaries of. Be careful and listen to yourself. Your body is telling you to pace yourself. Recovery is not a race.

Cant

#452440 - 11/04/13 12:21 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
Harvey Dent Offline

I describe it as angina because it feels like my heart is cramping.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I recognize that this is not a race. Yet, I live each day by conquering my fear. If I didn't, I would be a shell of who I am today.

My story: http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=452346#Post452346

Odds are that I am typing on my phone. Please excuse punctuation and spelling. Editing is a serious pain in the neck.

#452443 - 11/04/13 12:56 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am interested in hearing more about your angina, as would my T, as she and I work through my own chest cramping during our sessions.

One thing you can think about trying is naltrexone, which is what I've been using to supplement my EMDR.

Naltrexone is an opioid blocker, which is what they give a heroin overdose victim in the Emergency Room; it prevents opioids like heroin from bonding to the brain chemistry, therefore saving that person's life.

However, we also produce opioids as part of our internal body chemistry, endogenous opioids as opposed to exogenous opioids like heroin. These endogenous opioids, which our bodies pumped out in high doses during the abuse, could be the cause of the angina/chest pain.

Any doctor can prescribe naltrexone to you, and I think it's pretty cheap. It comes in 50 mg tablets. Start at a quarter tablet and work your way up to a full tablet one hour before your T session. The only side effect is stomach discomfort and perhaps a little nausea.

You can google "naltrexone and EMDR" for more info.

Cant

Edited by cant_remember (11/04/13 12:58 PM)
Edit Reason: added side effects

#452464 - 11/04/13 04:32 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Harvey,

Is the angina you describe relieved by nitro when it happens? If you take your angina meds and get no relief, it may be something else. Still, any man with a history of heart attacks, who is experiencing periodic chest pain, should see their cardiologist at once. Don't wait man, its your life.

Be well,

Jude (yeah, I'm a nurse)
Left here on my own or so it seems
I've got to leave before I start to scream
Joe Cocker

#452523 - 11/05/13 06:48 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
Harvey Dent Offline

I don't have nitro, or any prescriptions, actually. The heart attack I suffered was due to an overdose of caffeine, coupled with heat exhaustion and heavy labor. My cardiologist rame through a whole battery of tests and said that I hadade a full recovery. Once I lost 50lbs. he even took me off of blood pressure meds as my bp was 100/55 and is now 115/75.

I put in a call to his office and have an appointment scheduled for as soon as I get home, but the nurse relayed the message that he thought it was panic attacks due to stress. Unfortunately, I work on oil rigs, so I can't take anything for that while I am at work. It's excluded by OSHA.

I will continue to do what I have always done: take a deep breath, pray, meditate, and face my fear.

But thank you for your concern and wisdom.

#452534 - 11/05/13 07:54 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

Try this, Harvey:

When you feel your chest tightening, tell yourself that you love yourself. All of you, both parts. Have one part tell the other part that you love him. And that you're safe, he's safe, we are all safe together.

If the chest-tightening is a part of you trying to get your attention, let it know that it has your attention, but things are OK now.

Sometimes we respond as if the trauma is happening right now even though its decades in the past. We need to tell ourselves that it's OK.

Cant

#452542 - 11/05/13 10:32 AM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
Harvey Dent Offline

Thank you for that. That was a marvellous idea.

I cried until my boss walked into my office. It has made me feel much better. And the pain went away.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

#452551 - 11/05/13 12:16 PM Re: Chest tightness [Re: Harvey Dent]
cant_remember Offline
MaleSurvivor

(((( Harvey )))))

So glad that me and my parts could help you and yours.

Now you know what the chest-tightening could be about. Let us know how it goes. Talking to your darker half is important; letting him know that you hear him and that you honor and respect him is critical.

It's the first step to letting him know that the defenses that he established to help the both of you survive aren't as necessary now.

That's where I am now, slowly starting to disarm my defensive self. He doesn't like it; squeezes my chest a lot; but I keep telling him that I love him and that it's OK.

It's a slow process.

Cant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.